• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Glass at Value (1 Viewer)

Kowa BDII-XD 6.x5x32 - amazing binocular for the price and the unique qualities it has.
Leupold BX-4 Pro Guide HD 8x42 - at it's typical reduced price point, I've yet to find a more well made, sharper binocular for the price including such models as the Meopro HD, Viper HD, and Endeavour ED IV.
Kowa Genesis 44 series - to my eyes, these are alpha binoculars at a much reduced price. If you can forgive some of the quirks such as weight and lower magnification, I think most people would be as happy with these as an alpha (image quality alone).

Justin

Kowa Genesis 44 series - to my eyes, these are alpha binoculars at a much reduced price. If you can forgive some of the quirks such as weight and lower magnification, I think most people would be as happy with these as an alpha (image quality alone).

What do you mean by "lower magnification"?

Perhaps the term magnification was misconstrued for field of view, as the 44 mm models are a bit less than others in their respective class. However, (the FOV) does not take away from the performance. Much like the Nikon HG L/Premier 8X42 with 7 degrees FOV, one of the best 7 degree views out there.

Andy W.

Perhaps the term magnification was misconstrued for field of view, as the 44 mm models are a bit less than others in their respective class. However, (the FOV) does not take away from the performance. Much like the Nikon HG L/Premier 8X42 with 7 degrees FOV, one of the best 7 degree views out there.

Andy W.

Andy is correct, I was running a little low on sleep when I posted that comment and mixed up some words.
He is also correct that the listed FoV is not terrible (but I point it out because it is also nowhere close to the best).

Justin

Pentax 9x32 DCF BC purchased from Camera Land in July 2014 for $289.00. I used it as my car binocular for over a year.

Also sold under the Ricoh name. Made in the Philippines. Its body is basically a clone of the Sightron Blue Sky II 8x32 body.

I discovered that it has eyepieces with optical box construction similar to those in my Swarovski CL 8x30 B which I can use pushed back into my eye sockets or braced up against my Brow Ridge without suffering black outs.

Check Allbino's binocular listing and you will find it is also sold as the Pentax AD 9x32 WP. If there is a difference between them I have been unable to find it.

It is a sharp, bright 9x binocular with a 351' FOV with sharp edges.

If you are looking for a cheap 10x32 binocular you won't find one nearly as good as this 9x32 at anywhere near this price!

Bob

Last edited:
Hello,

Another good lower priced light weight suggestion is the Kowa 8 x 30 YF porro.

Cheers.

Yeah, this was the model that basically convinced me to buy binoculars. I went to visit my friend who has a shop with optics and told him I am considering it, but all cheap binos I have seen before were quite terrible and I was still not sure that I wanted to spent some significant money on something I am probably gonna lose or break in the near future.

He said: stop, just look through this. I did and it was marvelous, but I noticed it's a Kowa, which is a "name brand" and were sceptical - until he told me the price. I wonder if this is a singular event or if nowadays good binos are simply cheap?

Pentax 9x32 DCF BC purchased from Camera Land in July 2014 for $289.00. I used it as my car binocular for over a year.

Also sold under the Ricoh name. Made in the Philippines. Its body is basically a clone of the Sightron Blue Sky II 8x32 body.

I discovered that it has eyepieces with optical box construction similar to those in my Swarovski CL 8x30 B which I can use pushed back into my eye sockets or braced up against my Brow Ridge without suffering black outs.

Check Allbino's binocular listing and you will find it is also sold as the Pentax AD 9x32 WP. If there is a difference between them I have been unable to find it.

It is a sharp, bright 9x binocular with a 351' FOV with sharp edges.

If you are looking for a cheap 10x32 binocular you won't find one nearly as good as this 9x32 at anywhere near this price!

Bob

100% agreement. I had the Sightron 8x32 years ago, and recently picked up the 9x32 Pentax AD WP which is apparently a newer version of the DCF BC but essentially identical. Mine were used only $150 on eBay.

Like the Sightron, a fantastic value for the price. However, I like them more than the Sightron for two big reasons:

(1) the focus knob is much smoother than my recollection of the Sightron's, it's somewhat shocking to find such a large, comfortable, smooth focus wheel on such a cheap binocular!

(2) the soft green Pentax rubber armor is MUCH more pleasant to hold than the hard plastic "Klingon ridges" of the Sightron, it also adds a bit of rounding / contour to the barrel which is welcome with the long, thin barrels

Between the extra contour, soft rubber armor, and superior focus knob, the Pentax version is just far more comfortable and ergonomic to me. In all other respects it appears to be identical with the Sightron (although since I don't have them side by side I can't vouch for there not being a slight difference in coatings).

Unfortunately, the "all other respects" includes possibly the worst objective cover / rainguard setup ever, and really mediocre eyecups with hard edges and minimal detents at intermediate positions. The former doesn't bother me, as I never use objective covers and really don't need a rainguard for my "backup / back yard" bins, although I found that the rainguard from my old Bushnell Excursion 8x28 happens to fit the Pentax/Sightron perfectly!

I'm intending to address the latter by using the "doubled-over bicycle tire inner tube" method discussed in the "widening eyecups" thread -- with softer, more ergonomic eyecups the Pentax 9x32 would be nearly perfect!

Overall, like the Sightron, this Pentax is one of THE best buys in binoculars, whether you need an inexpensive backup to keep in the house or truck or use as a loaner... and honestly it would serve just fine as a primary optic for a birder on a budget. It's basically the perfect backup bin! Small and light yet rugged and reliable, excellent optical performance that far exceeds the price point, good handling, a bit of extra magnification to differentiate it from a typical 8x32, and it's cheap! Added bonus: the slender barrels, light weight, and ~54-55mm minimum IPD make them very child friendly, my 8 year old daughter was able to use them comfortably.

"Klingon Ridges" lololol I love it. To be sure anything that is a better value than the Sky Blue II 8x32 must be checked out. Thank you!

I can't take credit for the "Klingon ridges", that was a moniker that came up early in the giant Sightron thread that spanned many years and many hundreds of posts. I believe it may have been Brock who came up with that one!

I wouldn't necessarily say the Pentax are a BETTER value than the Sightron SII, more like an equal value that you may prefer due to the slight ergonomic and magnification differences.

All these clones produced by Ricoh (formerly Kenko, I believe) in the Phillipines, whether the Sightron SII Blue Sky, the Pentax versions, the Fujifilm KF, and I believe there was an old Kenko version... it's all the same binocular. Just slightly different exteriors. All great values.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back