• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A bit of a challenge (Bird ID thru call descript) Carara National Park - Costa Rica (1 Viewer)

libael

Hello everyone!

I'm new to the forum and the reason I subscribed is to ask everybody for some help.

I don't know if this is even possible but I've been listening to WAVs and MP3s online to try and find the exact song I heard yesterday, without any success, and it's driving me crazy.

So all I can do is give a description and see if anybody would be so very kind as to help me out. Brace yourselves, it might be long and chatty...but here goes:

I was in Carara National Park (in Costa Rica) yesterday, at about 8 a.m. and while walking the trails I heard a "tuk tuk" call in the distance, then nothing. As we walked a little bit more, the call went off again, this time a lot louder and more frequent (about one call every 2 minutes or so).

It sounded like a "moist" sound (if that makes any sense)...very loud, but not strident, but with a LOT of resonance instead. My husband describes it as two rocks hitting each other. For me it's more of a knock on wood.

One call is two sounds: Tuk-tuk, slightly ascending, "watery", very loud, very echoing....absolutely beautiful.

The park rangers outside told me it might be a woodpecker or a manakin...looked it up online and that's far from it.

The closest thing to it that I've round online is a mot mot call...but that is DEFINITELY not it.

Is it even a bird?

I've walked through many Costa Rican National Parks throughout my life, but have never heard this one sound before.

Please help! Thank you!

PS: It was a wonderful hike. I am by no means a bird watcher, but I did get to spot a Fiery beak Aracari!!! Very excited about that...and then some ibises, scarlet macaws, toucans, chacalacas, hummingbirds.

Hola Libael! :hi:

A warm welcome to Birdforum from all the staff and mods.

Costa Rica is a wonderful place for birdwatching. I had the pleasure to visit the ticos las November.

Is it possible that you heard the drumming of a Pale-billed Woodpecker? These Campehilus-Woodpeckers usually mark their territory by drumming twice on a dead tree.

Welcome to Bird Forum! I also live in Costa Rica-was in Carara about 10 days ago. Always great for birding and enjoying rain forest in general.
I am in agreement with Fritz- the first thing that comes to mind is the drumming of Pale-billed Woodpecker- a very recognizable "thudump"!

I just looked up a WAV file online and you are absolutely right!
Thank you so much, I will be able to sleep well tonight.

Thanks also for the warm welcome.

Costa Rica is a wonderful place for bird watching, that even if you're not into it, you eventually yield and become a fan of bird watching, even if it's very casual. Like me....so I will have many more questions in the future, and now I have somewhere to ask them.

Thanks! :)

Haha
Now that I think about it....this wasn't much of a challenge, after all, was it?
I'll try to come up with something more fun next time

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back