• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fen's Pool Nr (1 Viewer)

Sun 31st Mar..........

Quiet, reasonable % of water frozen.

Tufted Duck - 17 on the Grove and 16 on the Fens.
LBB Gull ca 30 birds
Herring Gull 3 birds
BHGull 200+

Laurie:t:

Tue 2nd April.........

On the way back from Dudley got off the bus at Russells Hall, walked down and did a figure of 8 around the pools exiting at Widewaters.

Upon reaching the 'inflow' area of the Fens Pool i had a brief glimpse of a feeding Little Ringed Plover on the edge of the mud, i moved around out of sight in order not to flush the bird. A small, mixed, group of large gulls went up off of the adjacent grassland and the plover shot off at 45 degrees like a bullet high and fast and not heard to call......and that was it - first of the year and about time, a pity it did'nt hang about but i don't know long it had been feeding there.

About 250 BHGull totally on the pools and about 30 larger gulls, mainly LBB but a few mixed-age Herrings.

Tufted Duck - 14 on Fens and 22 on Grove.

Birdsong limited to Dunnocks and Great Tits, no Phyllosc heard or seen.

Excellent light but cool to say the least.

I didnt think we would get any waders apart from Common Sands this spring with the high water levels at present, so the LRPs a good start, not usually an easy bird to get at Fens Pools but their were a few records last spring with the low water level. cheers simon

At least 2 adult Kittiwakes came in over Barrow Hill from the west towards Fens Pools with a large flock of Black Heads this afternoon. However they must have changed course because the birders present at Fens Pools did not connect, despite a phone call from me to eric phillips on site, also first singing Chiffchaff and 2 Ravens on pylon on Barrow Hill and another Red Kite record by a friend over his house in wordsley this lunch time which was then seen to pass just southeast of Fens Pools towards Dudley Golfcourse / Quarry area

Found Pair of Ring Ouzels yesterday afternoon along Pensnett to Himley railway walk at Shut End Quarry Pool which lies a few hundred yards to the west of Barrow Hill, luckily they stayed all evening so a few people could see them, also 3 Sand Martins through and a Woodcock flushed from near Hunts Mill Drive entrance opposite Gornal Crematorium

No sign of Ring Ouzels today but Woodcock seen in flight over, 3 Swallows through and 5 Jack Snipe in a marshy area nearby, also 4 Raven over

5 Avocets found by Simon earlier in morning. 2 flew South from the middle pool at approx 12. Whilst the other 3 flew South East at 12.30 from the fens pool. Also present 3 singing Chiffchaff & approx 11 Sand Martins.

Hughie King.

Last edited:
Hi all, the finder of the Avocets was my good friend Ken Ball, he first saw the birds arriving from the direction of holly hall at about 6.40, they then landed briefly on Middle Pool before flying around and then landing on Grove Pool, where they were swimming when i arrived around 10 minutes later after receiving kens phone call. I then watched them for 5 minutes before leaving for work. Apparently after i left the birds split into a 2 and a 3 on the middle and fens pools. As previously stated by Hughie the birds left site between 12 and 12.30. A further visit by me this afternoon produced a female Marsh Harrier low through heading NW at 3.45, a male Stonechat on embankment by middle pool briefly and 30+ Sand, 1 House Martin, 15+ Swallows through. A Waxwing was also seen briefly this morning near top of middle pool by fellow birder Ron Weaver, thanks Simon

Will check out the numbers at Upton Warren tomorrow to see if they have joined the 23 already there; the Flashes appears to have been overwhelmed with Blackwits today though.

Had a bimble about ystda 1145-1230.......

In addition to the Common Sands which was the largest group that i have seen around here that i can remember for yonks.

Chiffchaff x3 in scrub at end of Middle Pool
Sand Martin - 2 over FensPool
Tufted Duck - 21 Fens, 7 Grove
House Martin x 1
Swallow x 2
Blackcap x 2 on Middle Pol
Herrin Gull - single ad in with about a dozen mixed-age LBB's

Their were 5 Common Sands on Middle + 1 on Fens Yesterday Morn, also 5+ Swallows and Sand Marts, 1 Willow Warb, 5+ Chiffs, Today Male Wheatear, 2 Willow Warbs, 2 Chiffs, 5 Swallows nearby on waste ground on Russells Hall Estate

A walk around yesterday produced 15 Tufteds, 7 GC Grebes, 1 Cormorant, 1 Common Sand, 1 BH Gull, Male Reed Bunting, 8 Chiffchaffs, 9 Blackcaps, 4 Willow Warbs, 1 Goldcrest, 1 Siskin, 1 Redpoll, 1 House Martin, 4 Rook over. Nearby on Barrow Hill, 11 Blackcaps, 11 Chiffchaffs, 1 Willow Warbler, 1 Swallow, 10+ Stock Dove, 10+ Jay, 2 Redpoll, 2 Linnet. On Russells Hall Fields, 1 2nd Year GBB Gull over, 1 Sand Martin, 1 Whitethroat, 4 Chiffchaffs

On 27th Apr, 1 Grasshopper Warbler heard reeling close to Fens Pool early morning only, unfortunately i could not see it, and after 2 short reeling sessions it stopped and was not heard again, shame as its been about 20 years since the last record. Also on site, 11 Tufteds, Female Peregrine low over, 2 Common Sands, 10 BH Gulls, 3 Sand, 20+ House Marts, 50+ Swallows, 20+ Blackcap, 1 Garden Warb, 5+ Whitethroats, 3 Lesser Whites, 2 Sedge Warbs, 10+ Chiffs, 5+ Willow Warbs, 4 Goldcrest, 2 Raven. Nearby on Russells Hall Estate 1 Tree Pipit

2 Lesser Whitethroats Russells Hall Fields yesterday evening and another flyover female type Marsh Harrier heading north

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back