• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fen's Pool Nr (1 Viewer)

The Diver was at the Fens between the 2nd December & the 31st December 1985 found by T.A.PERRY.
Good Birding YAMYAM

Thanks everyone for sticking with me on this and to Yam Yam on the confirmation.
I wish I put things down in writing like all you but I just can't get my head around all the record keeping thingie.:eek!:

Keith :t:

The Diver was at the Fens between the 2nd December & the 31st December 1985 found by T.A.PERRY.
Good Birding YAMYAM
I seem to remember going for this bird but didn't see it. I was approached by a glue sniffer there who accused me of stealing his glue and I spent about 20 minutes saying I hadn't got it (thought I'd have to hit him to get away but he finally gave up). Happy times.
Geoff

I seem to remember going for this bird but didn't see it. I was approached by a glue sniffer there who accused me of stealing his glue and I spent about 20 minutes saying I hadn't got it (thought I'd have to hit him to get away but he finally gave up). Happy times.
Geoff

I still think you pinched my glue Geoff!!

Baggieshep - did you mean to say:

"That's not right Geoff, what you really wanted to do "was pritt stick a bugger on him"

Last edited:
The late Alan Perry - top bloke, knew all the local yoof (cue - clip 'round the ear!) Liked his fishin', fags 'n' beer - proper non-PC birder.....c/w deerstalker!

Laurie:t:

Talking of grim places, Russell Hall takes some beating but Billesley Common when the shore lark turned up (1996?) was like an scene from The Wire.

That's what makes some birds so special. Who could forget a Shorelark in the snow in a suburb of Birmingham. Jan 1997 incidentally, an excellent find.
Also Simon's Red b Shrike & Wryneck at Russell's Hall.
Quality birds.
Who gives a **** about the surroundings!

Hughie .

Not so much the actual site but the surrounding streets where I parked but the Sheepwash scared the s*** out of me.
And when I said in work (Oldbury Road) I was going to visit the Bumble Hole I was told to watch where I parked there as well.....seemed O.K. though.
But the places I will never leave my car again are right on my doorstep...Bittell and Wast Hills......I had my plates nicked and lots have had their cars broken into.:eek!:

Keith :t:

Had a phone call on thursday to say that a non birder had reported about 5 pink coloured starling sized birds with crests near the bottom of the middle pool sometime on Wednesday. Waxwings ?

Wed 22 Jan.......

Spent an hour so so at the FP's ystda, a pity this thread is'nt updated more frequently - there were a couple of birders nattering down near the car park but they obviously do'nt post on BF.

Arrived ca12:30 to Fifty Shades of Grey and left an hour or so later with Blue skies and White cotton-wool clouds - no rain but very wet underfoot and high water levels on the pools.

Fens Pool had ca10 Tufties, GCGrebe, 25+ BHG's and a pair of Pochard skulking under the Willows. Middle Pool had 30+ Tufties and about 50 BHG's and a couple of LBB's. Skirted back via Widewaters which also had a pair of Tufties present.

Nice to visit a bit of water that does'nt hold a Great Northern Diver;) Ironically the only GTD that i have seen actually in the WM county was the bird present already mentioned elsewhere.

Its a disgrace that there are waters where I am NOT able see Diver in the W.M's.....something MUST be done about this.....at the very least a question needs to be raised in the house.
If it is rectified can we pleased have some Red Throated Divers as well.
Keith

Keith - when you tire of Divers and fed up with life you can do no worse that to pop over to Withymoor (Do'nt forget the hosepipe for the exhaust;)) where you will be, almost, guaranteed to see little to set the pulse racing..........:C

Hi laurie I have been visiting the pools once or twice most weeks since I last posted in December, but the only records of note have been a couple of teal, the odd raven and the pair of pochard, and from speaking to the other regulars they haven't seen anything else of note either, cheers simon

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back