• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Parakeets v. Gulls in Rome (1 Viewer)

BirdsinRome

Hello! I have a rather specific question, but am hopeful that one of the experts here can either answer it definitively or point me in the right direction.

I live in the historic center of Rome, Italy. I work from home, and love nothing more than watching the birds out my window. The real treasure in Rome is its two species of green parrot: the rose-ringed parakeet and the monk parakeet. Seeing either of these two birds will make your day, and there are quite a few around the city.

My question is this: I'd like to put out food to attract these birds specifically. The long-shot here is the bane of Rome's existence (right after the Visigoths): the Yellow-Legged Gull. These monstrosities shred the garbage bags here to pieces and, since tourism has declined with the quarantine, have even taken to hunting pigeons and rats for food. Ergo, I can't even begin to imagine any source of edible anything that the seagulls wouldn't devour long before it was found by a parakeet.

I know it's a long-shot, but does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you in advance!

Here in the UK, R.N.Parakeets come to feeders ( peanuts particularly ) and also ripe soft fruit in larger gardens - neither of which will be a Y.L.Gulls preference. Plenty of images to give you an idea of the type of feeder.

Unsure why we don't like a bird which hunts rats and pigeons...

Ring-necks are super common in London. Someone told me that they out-compete woodpeckers for holes. I certainly think the latter has declined somewhat in the area. Monk parakeets are now rare following a concerted eradication campaign. Not sure what the rationale for that is: their communal stick nests are huge and presumably cause some problems but otherwise I'm not sure they're worse than the ring-necks

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back