• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which Woodcreeper? (Ecuador) (1 Viewer)

KHamblett

I believe that this is the Streak Headed Woodcreeper, but this one is outfitted with a longer beak than that which is depicted in the Ecuador bird guide. Your help with identifying this one will be appreciated!

Karen

Attachments

• Woodcreeper50225.jpg
    Woodcreeper50225.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 127
Hi Karen,
I think it could be Lineated Woodcreeper (Lepidocolaptes albolineatus). Wouldn't Streak-headed be out of range?

Hi Karen,

I have Streak-Headed Woodcreeper listed as far south as Northern Peru (sorry Joao). However, the closest I am to identifying it is Straight-billed Woodcreeper - then I looked at the bill. Sorry

Location in Ecuador would be helpful in indentification. As I see it, it is either Streak-crowned or Montane, the former found in the western lowlands and the latter above 1500 metres. The crown looks spotted rather than streaked so that would lead me to believe it to be a Montane.

It does indeed look like the Montane - even though the eyebrow doesn't seem as prominent as the one in the guide book. I posted a couple more shots of this guy that shows his head/cap better. But, wow, that beak is long even for a Montane....

Attachments

• Woodcreeper50226.jpg
    Woodcreeper50226.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 85
  • Woodcreeper50228.jpg
    Woodcreeper50228.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 81
Bellavista Lodge area in Ecuador's Tandayapa Valley.

The range maps for the two species under consideration (page 387 of the Ridgely field guide) would certainly seem to favor the higher-elevation Montane Woodcreeper (over the lower-elevation Streak-headed Woodcreeper) for the Bellavista Lodge area. We were there in June of this year and did a lot of birding in that area. Though we were always hoping for a new woodcreeper species whenever there was a little movement on a tree trunk or limb, we were frequently "disappointed" to find that it was just another Montane!

The fact that the streaking on the underparts of the bird shows up clearly in your photographs also suggests that it is a Montane, whose streaking is described in the field guide as "crisper" than that of the Streak-headed.

Thanks for the responses .... Montane it is ......Thanks for pointing out that the pattern on the crown of the head differs between the Montane and Streak headed woodcreeper and that the streaking is sharper in the Montane than that of the Streak headed. Great distinguishers between those two similar species.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back