• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

lens covers (1 Viewer)

I have used Butler Creek flip open lens covers for rifle scopes. They are inexpensive and very good. You can tether them to your bins. BC makes these for most objective sizes.
Be careful to get the sizing right before ordering them. Call Butler creek customer service and they will help you get the size you need to fit your bin objectives.
Search google for Butler Creek Lens covers and it will lead yo to a phone number for Butler Creek.

gautamsrivastav said:
I have used Butler Creek flip open lens covers for rifle scopes. They are inexpensive and very good. You can tether them to your bins. BC makes these for most objective sizes.
Be careful to get the sizing right before ordering them. Call Butler creek customer service and they will help you get the size you need to fit your bin objectives.
Search google for Butler Creek Lens covers and it will lead yo to a phone number for Butler Creek.

Thanks gautamsrivastav:
That's exactly what I did. My order from Cabelas just came in today and I just finished fitting them onto my Celestron Nobles. The objective caps fit perfectly. I used a dremmel tool to take a little material off of the interior of the "eye" edge of the eyepiece caps so I could press them down flush w/the bino eyepiece so as not to affect the eye relief, (I wear glasses). They should advertise these for binos as well. They seem far and away superior to any standard bino caps. I'm not sure what you mean by tethering them, once they're on, they seem like part of the binos.
To anyone else interested, Google www.unclemikes.com, they make the caps. The packaging opens and closes easily so you should go to a sporting goods store w/your binos to try some out and see what size you need.
j-p

j-p said:
Thanks gautamsrivastav:
That's exactly what I did. My order from Cabelas just came in today and I just finished fitting them onto my Celestron Nobles. The objective caps fit perfectly. I used a dremmel tool to take a little material off of the interior of the "eye" edge of the eyepiece caps so I could press them down flush w/the bino eyepiece so as not to affect the eye relief, (I wear glasses). They should advertise these for binos as well. They seem far and away superior to any standard bino caps. I'm not sure what you mean by tethering them, once they're on, they seem like part of the binos.
To anyone else interested, Google www.unclemikes.com, they make the caps. The packaging opens and closes easily so you should go to a sporting goods store w/your binos to try some out and see what size you need.
j-p
Thats great. Sorry I only got to your post today had I seen it earlier it may have saved you some time. By tethered I mean that one part stays fitted on your bin barrel so the lens covers open but stay attached to your bin. There is actually a size chart with circles on it that you can get from from Butler creek. You put your bin objective on it to get the size you need to order. An old Cabela catalog has this chart too.
I have used these for many years and they hold up very well and are by far the finest product of their kind on the market.

Last edited:
gautamsrivastav said:
Thats great. Sorry I only got to your post today had I seen it earlier it may have saved you some time. By tethered I mean that one part stays fitted on your bin barrel so the lens covers open but stay attached to your bin. There is actually a size chart with circles on it that you can get from from Butler creek. You put your bin objective on it to get the size you need to order. An old Cabela catalog has this chart too.
I have used these for many years and they hold up very well and are by far the finest product of their kind on the market.

Do these lens covers fit over the objective side or over the eyepieces? I find that the Zeiss FL 8x42 has a horribly large cover for the eyepieces, whereas the solution for the objectives is OK. So what I'm looking for is a eyepiece cover that fits snug but keeps attached to the strap. My Leica Trinovid 8x32 has an excellent model, which, unfortunately, is too small for the Zeiss.

I think I can say I've lost every lenscap I ever got with a set of optics I don't really care I just place them in a clean spot on the car floor. I tuck a soft bandanna into my belt as a lens cloth to use in the field.
Sam

Greetings!

I also use the Butler Creek flip up riflescope covers on ALL of my binoculars at this point (except my tiny 8x20 and 10x25 models) and I think they are the best lens covers you can buy. They are fairly inexpensive, and SO fast to deploy... as an added bonus they open very silently too!

Best wishes,
Bawko

Anybody found replacements for the original objective and ocular lens covers on the Zeiss 85 T* FL?

The private-branded generic objective lens cover release tabs are fiddly to operate, especially with gloves/mitts. The ocular lens cover is tight, invariably pulling out the extending eyecup when it's removed, unless you retain the eyecup with your other hand; of course you can always push the eyecup back in when the cover's removed.

Small details, maybe, but when you're deploying a scope from the back seat to catch
a flock of active Pine Siskins perched high and about 75 metres off the East Road in Bruce County, Ontario, fiddling is the last thing you want to be doing.

The Butler Creek Flip-Open Scope Cover #33OBJ may fit the extending ocular eyecup; however, the eyecup is bevelled; so you'd almost have to get one and see if it works..

Mike

Mike Penfold said:
Anybody found replacements for the original objective and ocular lens covers on the Zeiss 85 T* FL?
The private-branded generic objective lens cover release tabs are fiddly to operate, especially with gloves/mitts. The ocular lens cover is tight, invariably pulling out the extending eyecup when it's removed, unless you retain the eyecup with your other hand; of course you can always push the eyecup back in when the cover's removed. Mike

Similar problem with Nikon lens covers. For my EDIII I use a Pentax 67mm lens cap for the objective. It has release tabs that are convenient in size, yet don't get off by themselves.

No good solution for the eyecups, however. Same problem as in the quote!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back