• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unusual bird visiting my garden - what is it??? (2 Viewers)

But Extrareach has already said that she has Waxwings as well - see posts #66 and #72 - so presumably her bird is something different.

You know the best thing about this thread happened to me earlier ... i got a 404 error when logging on to it ..unfortunatly its now still here ... the only reason its still going is because the initial hook was a decent description of an amatuer birder describing a nutcracker which keep the twitching fraternity on tenderhooks ...and the fact that the copyright infringement police have now hijacked it ..even though not a penny has changed hands ...and so except in the eyes of the copyright infringement police ..because the real ones couldnt give a jot ..there has been no crime commited..unless you mean a moral one ...poor you ..boo hoo ...you may get a few appologies ... we didnt mean any harm by it etc ...i can assure you there was absolutely no harm done ...with all thats going on in the world today when you look at the bigger picture of things ..can i just say which no doubt others are thinking the same thing ..with all due respect .. "Get a life "..;) have a nice day

From the initial description it CANNOT be a Nutcracker.

Regards

John

From the initial description it CANNOT be a Nutcracker.

Regards

John

I totally agree but it didnt stop Nutcracker pics being linked to the thread ...
I think you call this wishful thinking ..
To be honest "Jay like in appearance but with a slightly more bulbous head."
Suggests exactly what it is ... a Jay ..its a non confusion species ..the only thing thats Jay sized and Jay like is a Jay
Until evidence suggesting otherwise comes to light i suggest that this thread is put to rest Hanger 18 would be good for storing it ..there are no pics a vague description and 10 other people have seen it and still not identified it ..

Last edited:
... and with encouragement like this, why are you surprised that Extrareach hasn't bothered to respond? She's a non birder who has [probably] seen something interesting. And what does she get here? To put it mildly, a mixed reaction! - mainly because of birders who are paranoid at the possibility that they are being taken for a ride. Go back over this thread and read the tripe (which is how any non birder would define it) that has been posted here. Would you seriously expect to hear from Extrareach again? I don't - and I think that's a shame. There have been some sensible comments and suggestions here, but they are buried amongst a display of idiots (including myself!) being thoroughly anal.

For what it's worth, I'm reminded of Bill Oddie's oh-so-perceptive rule of thumb that strange birds always turn out to be Jays. To be honest, I think "Harr1y" and Jane Turner have nailed it. Despite what Extrareach says, for a non birder it's really a pretty good description of a Jay.

If it's still being seen I'd like to know whether there is any sky-blue in the wings - which of course would nail it - but why should Extrareach bother conversing with what must seem to her like a bunch of loonies?

Last edited:
Your first post was dated 1st Nov 2012. You've had over 5 weeks to get something together! Bit of a waste of your time...and ours?

I agree with Jack Dawe. We don't have to spend any time on the OP's query, it is not an obligation, so you can only say that you are wasting your own time. I suppose that it is just a wish to solve puzzles of the "What's that bird?" type that gets us to participate in this type of thread, that and (in some cases) a disappointment at displays of bad manners.

Typing "extrareach+suffolk" into Google provides a tantalising possible location.
Apologies if this offends the OP but I guess I'm not alone in hoping that whatever it was is still there and that someone will submit a pic.
Apologies to all who'd prefer this thread to go quiet.....

Peter

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back