• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Baader - a bargain (1 Viewer)

postcardcv

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Following a recommendation on another thread I purchased the Baader Microstage 2" digital camera adapter.

Although it is not the most stylish of digiscoping adaptors (it's fairly clunky and weighs in at 420g), it is one of the cheapest at just £29.99. It is easy to use, the camera is attahced to a platform via the standard tripod mount. The adapter is put over the eyepeice of the scope and clamped into place - the 2.5" opening should work fine with any current eyepeice.

There are two knobs that are turned to move the camera up and down and from side to side, this allow you to centralise the camera. The system allows for reasonably fine adjustment, so you can get the camera in just the right place. This process is fairly time consuming, but once set for your camera/eyepeice you won't need to adjust it next time.

It does not have the facility to swing the camera away to line up your shot and then swing it back in, that some of the more expensive adapters have. However removing the adapter (with camera attched) is quick and easy, so it's not much of an issue.

The one problem I did find was that the possition of the screw to attach the camera could not move far enough to the side to allow me to correctly line up one of the cameras I tested it with. This was easily solved by using an old quick release plate to move the attachment point 1cm to the right. Not the biggest problem, but still annoying.

Having spent some time trying this adapter I'd happily recommend it to anyone. For the price is offers a lot, it's simple to use and should work with any camera with a tripod mount and any current scope.

Picture shows the adapter being used with a Swarovski scope and a cheap Sony camera.

Attachments

• digiscoping.jpg
    digiscoping.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 601
Last edited:
postcardcv said:
Following a recommendation on another thread I purchased the Baader Microstage 2" digital camera adapter.

Although it is not the most stylish of digiscoping adaptors (it's fairly clunky and weighs in at 420g), it is one of the cheapest at just £29.99. It is easy to use, the camera is attahced to a platform via the standard tripod mount. The adapter is put over the eyepeice of the scope and clamped into place - the 2.5" opening should work fine with any current eyepeice.

There are two knobs that are turned to move the camera up and down and from side to side, this allow you to centralise the camera. The system allows for reasonably fine adjustment, so you can get the camera in just the right place. This process is fairly time consuming, but once set for your camera/eyepeice you won't need to adjust it next time.

It does not have the facility to swing the camera away to line up your shot and then swing it back in, that some of the more expensive adapters have. However removing the adapter (with camera attched) is quick and easy, so it's not much of an issue.

The one problem I did find was that the possition of the screw to attach the camera could not move far enough to the side to allow me to correctly line up one of the cameras I tested it with. This was easily solved by using an old quick release plate to move the attachment point 1cm to the right. Not the biggest problem, but still annoying.

Having spent some time trying this adapter I'd happily recommend it to anyone. For the price is offers a lot, it's simple to use and should work with any camera with a tripod mount and any current scope.

Picture shows the adapter being used with a Swarovski scope and a cheap Sony camera.

Thanks very much, I brought one yesterday, I hope I am as happy with it as you are!!

Happy birding

I bought one of these a while ago... Watch you dont drop it !!!! as a small chunk broke off the base of mine and I also lost the washer that keeps the camera base steady.....Otherwise a good buy for the price it did improve my Digi-scoping.....
Lsb

Baader, a bargain

LSB said:
I bought one of these a while ago... Watch you dont drop it !!!! as a small chunk broke off the base of mine and I also lost the washer that keeps the camera base steady.....Otherwise a good buy for the price it did improve my Digi-scoping.....
Lsb

Can anyone tell me where i can get one of these, this might be what i am looking for.

Marc Heath

Heathy said:
Yes please sounds good, how shall i go about contacting you etc.

Marc

If you click on the name of the person posting PM (private message) is in the list. I've just bought one myself and though haven't played with it yet it looks promising.

Heathy said:
Can anyone tell me where i can get one of these, this might be what i am looking for.

Marc Heath

I have just recently brought one, it's brilliant. Just after buying mine I noticed new ones have appeared on Ebay they have been going for about £10 plus £3 p&p which makes them a bargain. If there are anymore on Ebay just do a search for digiscope they will come up on the list.

A word of caution, you can only use them on an eyepiece with a long neck as the mounting bracket is quite deep. I was surprised when mine arrived.

Has anyone tried using one of these Baader adapters with an astronomy scope (more specifically, I'm thinking a Meade ETX) and if so, was it well suited to the setup or were there any problems?

Also, is it feasible to use it with binoculars...?

Squirrel said:
Has anyone tried using one of these Baader adapters with an astronomy scope (more specifically, I'm thinking a Meade ETX) and if so, was it well suited to the setup or were there any problems?

Also, is it feasible to use it with binoculars...?

Hi Squirrel

I believe the Baader adaptor was designed for astronimical telepscopes. As the adaptor is called a Baader Planetarium. Sorry can't tell you much more than that as I am not an astro person. If you rGerman is any good would suggest checking there website as the English website is not up and running yet.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back