• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

sigma choice (1 Viewer)

roywez67

hi, anyone got any opinions on the sigma 170-500 apo af, and the sigma 70-300 apo dg i am due to buy a 55d in the next week was thinking of either one of these two, some good advice would be appreciated and maybe any alternatives , i should say this will be my first dslr after using bridge cameras,
thanks.

Assuming you want a lens for birding, then longer focal lengths will make it easier, so within your budget, the 170-500 is going to be more useful than the 70-300

There are of course 300mm lenses out there that will kick the 170-500 butt, even with a 2x TC fitted but guessing by your first choices, your budget doesnt stretch to those beasts

The 170-500 APO was decent enough if you stop down to f7.1 / f8, but of course this requires decent light. The 170-500 APO predates Sigmas HSM, so focusing is noisier and less sophisticated than Sigmas HSM long lenses.

If you could stretch your budget a bit, i'd go with the 150-500 with OS ( optical stabilisation ). I'm on my 2nd one of these, the first being when i used a Canon body, and now i use Nikon. Sigma also make the 50-500mm OS, but this is way more expensive, and probably nowhere near your budget.

Its not life or death having to have a lens with stabilisation, so perhaps you could try for the 50-500 NON OS Sigma.

Both the 50-500 / 150-500 should focus faster than the old 170-500.

If you would like to see some sample shots with the 150-500mm Sigma, let me know and i'll post a few.

Another possible is the Tamron 200-500mm, and although this doesnt use stabilisation, ( not a big deal really ) its probably optically in the same ball park as the 150-500.

Some people bemoan Sigma for their QC ( or lack of it ) so if at all possible, try them before buying, which i guess means you'll have to buy local from a shop, though you should still go for a used one, rather than a new one.

Both my 150-500 Sigmas have been fine so i dont have bad words to say about them.

Assuming you want a lens for birding, then longer focal lengths will make it easier, so within your budget, the 170-500 is going to be more useful than the 70-300

There are of course 300mm lenses out there that will kick the 170-500 butt, even with a 2x TC fitted but guessing by your first choices, your budget doesnt stretch to those beasts

The 170-500 APO was decent enough if you stop down to f7.1 / f8, but of course this requires decent light. The 170-500 APO predates Sigmas HSM, so focusing is noisier and less sophisticated than Sigmas HSM long lenses.

If you could stretch your budget a bit, i'd go with the 150-500 with OS ( optical stabilisation ). I'm on my 2nd one of these, the first being when i used a Canon body, and now i use Nikon. Sigma also make the 50-500mm OS, but this is way more expensive, and probably nowhere near your budget.

Its not life or death having to have a lens with stabilisation, so perhaps you could try for the 50-500 NON OS Sigma.

Both the 50-500 / 150-500 should focus faster than the old 170-500.

If you would like to see some sample shots with the 150-500mm Sigma, let me know and i'll post a few.

Another possible is the Tamron 200-500mm, and although this doesnt use stabilisation, ( not a big deal really ) its probably optically in the same ball park as the 150-500.

Some people bemoan Sigma for their QC ( or lack of it ) so if at all possible, try them before buying, which i guess means you'll have to buy local from a shop, though you should still go for a used one, rather than a new one.

Both my 150-500 Sigmas have been fine so i dont have bad words to say about them.
thanks , i just needed an insight with not using any dslr or lens before, it will be for birding , i do a lot of walking around as appose to sitting and waiting, so i think something that can reach to 500mm
would suit best, thanks again.

One of the good things about the 150-500 Sigma is the light weight. You'll be able to carry this around for pretty much most of the day

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back