• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

MACRO Lens Recommendation (1 Viewer)

Upland Birder

Birding On The Edge
I have a Nikon I will collect this Saturday coming. and I'm thinking of purchasing a macro lens. Can anyone recommend a macro lens. It does not have to be a Nikon lens.

Thanks

Dean:t:

I have a Nikon I will collect this Saturday coming. and I'm thinking of purchasing a macro lens. Can anyone recommend a macro lens. It does not have to be a Nikon lens.

Thanks

Dean:t:

Love my 105mm Sigma Macro. Canon fit but i'm sure they do one for Nikon?

Gladly recommend it.

Thanks

O.R

There are plenty of options.

-VR is not very effective when used for true macro photography, so factor that into your decision.

-Longer focal lengths (~120mm+) are useful especially for insect shots, but the lenses tend to be significantly larger and heavier.

I've used a Tamron SP 90mm f2.8 Di Macro for a few years and like its versatility, compact size, light weight and excellent optics. They now make a version which has its own AF motor for Nikon.(Here's a review comparing it to the Nikon 105, Micro).
It is a lovely lens for portraits as well.

The Sigma's are also very good.

Which ever you eventually choose have a look on Camerapricebuster to find the best price, Tamron lenses can be found in the lefthand menu. HTH

I have the Nikon 105mm f2.8 VR. Outstanding lens and, as well as macro, it's a not too shabby portrait lens and excellent for BIF if you find yourself next to a seabird colony for example

cheers
martin

Well the Sigma 150mm OS seems to be the in thing at the mo (reach is reach!). I also see that Tamron have launched an updated version of their popular 90mm macro with a silent focus motor and lens stabilisation which will be available soon. With macro lenses though it's hard to go wrong really as they all produce superb images and any advantages one may have over another are very slight.

I bought a Sigma 150mm Macro recently. Due to the time of year, I haven't used it much but it seems a very classy bit of kit. I did have a Tamron 90mm macro. I loved its size, price and image quality but, for butterfly and dragonfly photography, I found its 90mm rather limiting.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back