• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

MFT lens 100-400mm, Leica DG, announced (2 Viewers)

They missed off the 300mm figures but they've promised to re-run the test at that setting. The Pana lens was tested on the 20Mp GX8 whereas the Olympus was on the 16Mp EM5 so that lens could show even higher res on the GX8 or Pen-f.

On the zoom test the 200mm setting seems even slightly better than 100mm but there's a noticeable drop in resolution at 400mm - let's hope the 300mm figures are closer to the 100/200mm than 400mm...

They've updated the review to include the 300mm setting and though it's not quite up there with the 200mm reading, it's still very good at full aperture of F5.6

I recently got a 7D and 100-400mm L - I have a LOT of trouble holding it steady... was hoping, with the fast auto-focus, to do field photography and maybe get some of those dramatic, BIF shots. I have a monopod and can't afford the gimbal head I'd prefer. Maybe I'll have to go with a tripod, which is unfortunate. I got spoiled with the M4/3 and Refractor Scope on the tripod, with a remote shutter release. I didn't need IS.. but only got sitting birds.

I am very interested in seeing some BIF shots with this new lens. My experience with the G3 I had, using a 100-300 Lumix... that autofocus was just insufficient. The lighter weight and increased focal length, would be very attractive, but ONLY, if that auto-focus issue was resolved. Maybe a later model M4/3rds?

I'm too poor to pay attention but really willing to do without a bit, to buy the right gizmo for myself, with my physical challenges (severe arthritis in both hands - right shoulder replacement surgery next month).

My only complaint about the PL 100-400 is that it is still not released :(
The better half has the Oly 300/4 for her m5ii-an example of what she's done with it:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/114407047@N06/25239057209/in/dateposted/
If the PL 100-400 is 90% of that at 400 I'll be elated....the reviews say most likely that.
Now when is the release date ???????
Yes a bit impatient.
Impressive shots by your other half. The first copies of the 100-400mm have started to arrive with their new owners in the last couple of days in the UK.

Ron

Richard Wong review: http://photobyrichard.com/reviewbyrichard/panasonic-leica-dg-vario-elmar-100-400-f4-6-3-review/

Sharpness is pretty decent as well. Images are reasonably sharp at maximum aperture, even at 400mm (800mm equivalent). Look at the 100% crop below, I say it’s really good for a super tele zoom lens and definitely exceeded my expectation.
There is a little bit of barrel distortion but nothing too crazy.

and the conclusion
The Panasonic 100-400 really highlights one of the strength of the micro four thirds system. A lens with insanely long effective focal length but with reasonably compact size. The build quality and image quality of the lens are decent and I really like the dual lens hood and lockable focal length design. Not to mention that the really fast autofocus speed and good O.I.S. /dual I.S. performance.I do wish the integrated lens hood is a little bit longer so I don’t need to touch the detachable lens hood most of the time. But the only thing I don’t really like is the tripod collar can only be rotated by 90 degree so you do have to remove it when shooting handheld. The smallish f/4-6.3 aperture size also limits the low light performance (both autofocus speed and image quality).

This is a very welcome addition to the micro four thirds lens lineup.

Niels

Does anyone have this yet?
I am photographing shorebirds in good light, but they are small and distant. The GX8 + Leica 100-400 combination looks to have excellent potential, but I did come across comments on shutter-shock on that camera, which would undermine my 100% crops for detail. apparently electronic shutter can be used instead, but rolling shutter effects can occur. Before deciding I want to know if the shutter shock issue is extensive and if the rolling shutter would occur on small birds shot at high speed.

I have been using FZ1000 for 15 months. Great, but not enough reach for tiny shorebirds with leg flags, that need to be read.
Was about to go for Canon 7D II and 100-400 III + 1.4 extender, but then found out about this. Portability would be much vastly more workable.

A detailed test of this 100-400mm lens at lenstip.com and people discussing technical aspects of the review.

The thing that bothered me about that review was the biases that came out in the introduction. (I must admit that it was good that he did include his biases there).

Bias 1: a lens like this must be stopped down. Bias two: therefore, diffraction will ruin all images taken with this lens. Importantly: both conclusions made before even unpacking the lens, much less putting it on a camera.

Niels

Agreed. Looked at many other reviews and all very positive. I'll be saving to buy one.

The thing that bothered me about that review was the biases that came out in the introduction. (I must admit that it was good that he did include his biases there).

Bias 1: a lens like this must be stopped down. Bias two: therefore, diffraction will ruin all images taken with this lens. Importantly: both conclusions made before even unpacking the lens, much less putting it on a camera.

Niels

I really like the PL100-400 on the G7. The combined lens and body weight is well below 2kg, so this can come with me every time I'm birding, regardless of whether I'm carrying my scope and tripod too. I'm a birder who travels by bike and so the weight and bulk of my dslr and 200-500 results in a choice between scope and camera and the scope usually wins. I'll likely use that gear in future only when I know I'm setting out to take flight shots of some small and/or fast beastie.
I've found the 100-400 to be excellent wide open and through the zoom range. Pixel peepers will probably find fault, but that's not my territory, and as a birder wanting better than a bridge camera can deliver this m43 camera & lens will siut my purposes well, I think. The PL100-400 is seriously better in all respects compared to the lumix 100-300.
Video/vidgrabs are also much better with G7/100-400 compared to my previous GH3/100-300. The 2.4 internal teleconverter works with full hd video, giving serious 'birding range' reach, and the fullhd grabs are decent quality.4k obviously better, but added teleconverter range is not available. Decent lens for plants and butterflies too.
Sunbathing dunnock from 10m, little egret and herring gull both big crops from 120m, juv robin vidgrab from 25m (full hd @800m equivalent,+2.4 teleconverter.

Attachments

• D065web.G7&100400.jpg
    D065web.G7&100400.jpg
    404.1 KB · Views: 191
  • ET010web.G7100400.jpg
    ET010web.G7100400.jpg
    330.1 KB · Views: 155
  • Rjuv066web.G7100400.fhdvdgr.jpg
    Rjuv066web.G7100400.fhdvdgr.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 181
  • HG050.G7&100400.0616.jpg
    HG050.G7&100400.0616.jpg
    280.2 KB · Views: 135
  • CommBlue010web.G7100400.jpg
    CommBlue010web.G7100400.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 152
I really like the PL100-400 on the G7. The combined lens and body weight is well below 2kg, so this can come with me every time I'm birding, regardless of whether I'm carrying my scope and tripod too. I'm a birder who travels by bike and so the weight and bulk of my dslr and 200-500 results in a choice between scope and camera and the scope usually wins. I'll likely use that gear in future only when I know I'm setting out to take flight shots of some small and/or fast beastie.
I've found the 100-400 to be excellent wide open and through the zoom range. Pixel peepers will probably find fault, but that's not my territory, and as a birder wanting better than a bridge camera can deliver this m43 camera & lens will siut my purposes well, I think. The PL100-400 is seriously better in all respects compared to the lumix 100-300.
Video/vidgrabs are also much better with G7/100-400 compared to my previous GH3/100-300. The 2.4 internal teleconverter works with full hd video, giving serious 'birding range' reach, and the fullhd grabs are decent quality.4k obviously better, but added teleconverter range is not available. Decent lens for plants and butterflies too.
Sunbathing dunnock from 10m, little egret and herring gull both big crops from 120m, juv robin vidgrab from 25m (full hd @800m equivalent,+2.4 teleconverter.

Nice shots, how do you find birds in flight?
50% in focus? or more? less?

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back