• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Colour-ringed Black-tailed Godwit (1 Viewer)

tuftyhill

Recently at my local patch (Sandbach Flashes) we have been getting good numbers of Black-tailed Godwit and last Saturday I noticed two birds were colour-ringed, I managed to get some record digiscoped shots of the birds and sent an email to Jennifer Gill (who I sent previous records to) asking if she still accepted any records but I haven't received any reply from her yet. She might be on holiday but I was wondering if any other BF members had sent any colour-ringed BTG records in, and if so where ?

I,m glad I've just found this thread as I also saw a colour banded BTG at Alresford creek in Essex on Sunday 16/04/2006 & will send the pic off to Tomas

Regards Bish. :t:

Attachments

• 2006_0416Image0001 (Medium).JPG
    2006_0416Image0001 (Medium).JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 302
Hi Paul,

A lot of the time the project workers of the blkwit project are on expeditions to Iceland etc. I have sent many sightings of Colour ringed Blackwits to them and some times they take quite a while to get back.

I normally send my sightings to limosa 'at' simnet.is or Pete Potts ppotts 'at' compuserve.com.

This weekend I had 2 Cuckoo behind Rudheath woods and Little Owl on the A50 in Cranage

Cheers
Kane

Hi Kane,
thanks for your reply, and yes you were right both Tomas and Jennifer have been over in Iceland. I got a reply from Tomas the night I found his email address off this thread and sent him an email.
I received a reply from Jennifer tonight also.

Cuckoo has become so rare at Sandbach Flashes now, I presume we're not alone.

Regards

Paul

Thanks for this, it's useful.

I saw onesuch at Marshside on Saturday, herewith a dodgyscoped photo ~

attachment.php

And a reply from Sigga Betta, pp Tomas:

Hello Simon

Many thanks for the sighting. Apologies for the late reply but Tomas has
been on fieldwork. I am replying on his behalf.

WO LO was ringed as a female in N Iceland. Top line is the day of ringing.
Details below.

Langhús, Fljót, N Iceland
N Ice

Medway Estuary, Kent, SE England
SE Eng

Thanks again and all the best,

Sigga Beta

SiG said:

Hello Simon

Details below.

N Ice

SE Eng

Sigga Beta

Thanks for the reply, I,m glad the picture was of use even thought the quality was poor

SiG said:

Hello Simon

Details below.

N Ice

SE Eng

Sigga Beta
Hi
Sighted this bird at Oare Marshes to-day at 15.00 hrs ,there has been a steady influx of new waders recently. If the white ring had any information on it I was unable to read it.

Regards

Rick Lawes

Attachments

• Ringed Godwit.jpg
    Ringed Godwit.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 240
ricklawes said:
Hi
Sighted this bird at Oare Marshes to-day at 15.00 hrs ,there has been a steady influx of new waders recently. If the white ring had any information on it I was unable to read it.

Regards

Rick Lawes

Jenny Gill at UEA still deals with colour-ring records for Black-tailed Godwit. Remember you can also submit them to www.ring.ac and you can be sure they will get to the right person.

Were your birds adults or first-summers - just out of interest?

Cheers
Dawn

Dawn Balmer said:
Jenny Gill at UEA still deals with colour-ring records for Black-tailed Godwit. Remember you can also submit them to www.ring.ac and you can be sure they will get to the right person.

Were your birds adults or first-summers - just out of interest?

Cheers
Dawn
Hi Dawn
Adult just coming out ofsummer plumage.

Rick

I think this colour ringing really works well. I've now seen 3 this year. One I think I mistook White for Lime due to fading light and a not so good scope (now replaced by a Zeiss - ED optics make such a difference in poor light), but of the others Sigga Beta responded:

13th April (At pools just north of Preston) =

Bird 2 = RY-WL was ringed as a male in SW Iceland. Top line is the day of ringing. Details below.
24.04.00 Grafarvogur, Reykjavík, SW Iceland Faxafloi
25.04.00 Grafarvogur, Reykjavík, SW Iceland Faxafloi
25.04.00 Grafarvogur, Reykjavík, SW Iceland Faxafloi
26.04.00 Grafarvogur, Reykjavík, SW Iceland Faxafloi
04.03.01 Dublin Bay, Co. Dublin, E Ireland E Ire
01.05.01 Álftafjörður, E Iceland E ice
06.05.01 Skeidflot I Myrdal, Vik, S Iceland S ice
05.03.02 Pagham Harbour, Sussex, S England S Eng
14.03.03 Ribble Estuary, Lancashire, NW England NW Eng

22nd July (At Lytham) =

LR-WR was ringed in N Iceland. Top line is the day of ringing. Details below.

11.07.05 Siglufjörður, N Iceland N Ice
02.10.05 Dundalk Bay, Co. Louth, E Ireland E Ire
12.03.06 Dundalk Bay, Co. Louth, E Ireland E Ire
19.05.06 Dundalk harbour, Co. Louth, E Ireland E Ire

I'm glad to make a contribution to this study, and I think the feedback is really interesting.
In case you might stumble across any its worth checking what their colour schemes are, e.g. green = dark, Lime = light. Go to 'Operation Godwit' at http://www.uea.ac.uk/~b072834/

Last edited:
Here is one I spotted today at Alresford creek in Essex along with 100+ other BTG some still with summer plumage remaining, the details have been sent to Operation Godwit

Attachments

• IMG_2396.jpg
    IMG_2396.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 219
Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back