• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Jomo's Sketchbook (1 Viewer)

Cor Blimey! Just perfect fieldwork, using the most economical lines, evoking the real, living birds. Utterly terrific. The song sparrow sheet is devastatingly good and, following my cack-handed attempts at crane-drawing, I harbour more than a little envy for these majestic studies. A wonderful journey through your landscape - thanks for that!

Absoloutely brilliant fieldwork...Again! Your list had my mouth watering too, sounds like an excellent trip.

Mike

superb sketches, there isn't a single line on these pages that doesn't make me feel 'I wish I'd drawn that'. I really couldn't pick a favourite from these, wonderful!

Hi Jomo,

Been a while since I have been on the forum, but great to see these on my return. What an amazing display of fieldwork. The Long-tailed Duck are mighty and the Flicker sketches are aimply superb, really spot on! All are top class in fact, hats off to you!

Such beautiful scetches here, I'm really becoming a fan of your scetching style here! It never fails to amaze me how it is possible to draw a couple of lines and make a bird that looks like it's alive though it has only drawn outlines and is positioned on paper.

Warblers!

Took a week of vacation with warblers in mind, the same Pelee trip I'd planned for the Sketchathon last May but never got to. Had to stick around until Tuesday, as Homme and the boys were doing a show in Hamilton on Saturday (couldn't miss that!), and then some car trouble that wasn't resolved until Monday afternoon. Wednesday was cold, rainy and rather bad birding, but the other two days I spent at Pelee were spectacular. Masses of orioles, Yellow Warblers as thick as mosquitoes, and more variety than I've ever encountered, anywhere. Twenty warbler species for the trip, including a very brief encounter with a lifer Chat (missed the @&*%$# KIRTLAND'S, though!). My favourite sighting was definitely the flycatching Red-headed Woodpecker at the Tip -- gorgeous bird, best looking of the woodpeckers by far, and I'll have to find a composition to fit him into. With so much to look at there's little time for sketching, but I filled a few pages.

On Friday morning I headed for the Bruce to spend the long weekend at the family cottage. I was intent on doing much more birding while I was there, but rain and high winds kept me mostly indoors. Today was supposed to be pleasant, but after waking up to snow this morning I decided enough was enough and drove up to Hope Bay to see what I could rustle up. Few warblers, but a pair of nest building Rose-breasted Grosbeaks were obliging enough to let me follow them around for awhile.

Attachments

• sketchbook 2008-05-13-1.jpg
    sketchbook 2008-05-13-1.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 62
  • sketchbook 2008-05-13-2.jpg
    sketchbook 2008-05-13-2.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 81
  • sketchbook 2008-05-14.jpg
    sketchbook 2008-05-14.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 66
  • sketchbook 2008-05-15-1.jpg
    sketchbook 2008-05-15-1.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 75
  • sketchbook 2008-05-15-3.jpg
    sketchbook 2008-05-15-3.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 73
all wonderful sketches, bursting with energy and sensitivity to the subject - that woodpecker better find its way into a composition, it's gorgeous as it is (wonderful solid shape) but I think it still deserves the full treatment!

More Pelee, and the grosbeak sketches...

Attachments

• sketchbook 2008-05-15-2.jpg
    sketchbook 2008-05-15-2.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 67
  • sketchbook 2008-05-19-1.jpg
    sketchbook 2008-05-19-1.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 67
  • sketchbook 2008-05-19-2.jpg
    sketchbook 2008-05-19-2.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 84
just delicious! have you seen how 'pretty' our warblers are?? Not that I'm complaining, I'm a big fan of their subtle beauty, but I'd love to sketch something so outrageously colourful as some of these, even in these monochrome sketches, the patterns are so inspiring! A set of top class sketching!

You do keep us waiting between posts - but crikey it's well worth the wait! I've said it before, but I'll be boring and say it again - I just love your work, and the way you bring the Birder's World into the Art World is seamless and unsurpassable. Beautiful.

Final Red Headed Woody page....WOW! What a fantastic page. Delicious!

The rest is great, but that is just.....**&¤#*(I cant say it here you understand!;))

Such quality fieldwork. I'm constantly awed by the way you use a single, flowing line to describe the form of a bird perfectly.

Mike

Haven't been doing much sketching lately, but I did get out last weekend to enjoy the latest crop of fledglings that are out and about right now. Robin, Oriole, Savannah Sparrow and Bobolink depicted here, and I got yelled at by all of them (or at least, by the parent birds). A recent painting as well, though I can't say the colour scheme does much for the Grosbeak's ruby red. Ah, well.

I hope to make it down to Burlington this weekend for the recently fledged Peregrines at the lift bridge. Perhaps a side trip to the tern colony, too. (Tim's work has been just too enticing!)

Attachments

• sketchbook 2008-06-29-1.jpg
    sketchbook 2008-06-29-1.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 72
  • sketchbook 2008-06-29-2.jpg
    sketchbook 2008-06-29-2.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 63
  • sketchbook 2008-06-29-3.jpg
    sketchbook 2008-06-29-3.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 63
  • sketchbook 2008-06-29-4.jpg
    sketchbook 2008-06-29-4.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 72
  • 2008 Rose-breasted Grosbeak and Sumac.jpg
    2008 Rose-breasted Grosbeak and Sumac.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 84
Silky smooth effortless lines once again, superb stuff! The grossbeak puts me very much in mind of Bateman and I can think of no higher compliment to you! Looking forward to the peregrines already.

Mike

You do catch them perfectly, don't you! Top class fieldwork and a superb studio piece of a bird I've never seen, but is quite obviously spot-on. Looking forward to the tern drawings . . .

Just gotta love those scetches, especially the baby Robin. And that Grossbeak is a beauty, such wonderfully delicate and "purposeful" use of watercolor (I mean that everything looks so right and in the right place, personally I find it hard to make watercolor do what I want it to do).

Elina

wonderful, just wonderful - you were really looking at these birds, it shows!

Agree wholeheartedly with this, complete set of field sketches here, fabulous stuff, it really is. Your placement of the eyes in your birds is utterly fantastic which leads to a wonderful sense of engagement when viewing your work, these are all superbly observed and executed....

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back