• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Matt's watercolors (1 Viewer)

Thanks for the comments, here is the rest of the series....

Typically I try not to "start with dessert"... the fun of painting the detailed subject. Instead, I try to really concentrate on everything together, especially the backgrounds. I usually cover the whole paper with a few washes before working on any one area too much. Having to preserve the white of the paper for the wing and eye highlights made me hold off on putting any real color on the actual dragonfly until other elements got established.

Really cool to get an insight into your technique for this. I love the image you've chosen and the finished product is superb - great work and thank you for sharing. I guess prey and predator alike are just as interesting!

wonderful how the dragonfly reflects all the colours of its surroundings yet remains solid and not lost - an incredible feat when you think about it! Gorgeous.

Thanks for the comments, those are neat damselflies.

Here are a few recent sketches... A rose-breasted grosbeak, Eastern pondhawk, and a dot-tailed whiteface dragonfly.

Attachments

• rbgros.gif
    rbgros.gif
    65.7 KB · Views: 64
  • EpondHawk.gif
    EpondHawk.gif
    33.6 KB · Views: 60
  • DTWface.gif
    DTWface.gif
    59.5 KB · Views: 67
Thanks for the comments! Here are some more insects.
A twelve-spotted skimmer and Blue Dasher dragonflies...

Attachments

• 12spotsketch.gif
    12spotsketch.gif
    37.9 KB · Views: 67
  • BLUEdasherSketch.gif
    BLUEdasherSketch.gif
    31 KB · Views: 68
Excellent work, Matty! Since you are into dragonflies, do you perchance know of Dr. Dennis Paulson? He is a professor emeritus of the U. of Washington, retired curator of a couple of natural history museums here in the Pacific NW and an expert on both birds and dragonflies - including having named several species of dragonflies. He has authored at least one book on the subject. Also, he was the primary instructor for the intensive one-year master birder program that I went through a couple years of go. A truly amazing fellow, and an outstanding teacher. He also has authored a book on shorebirds. The Shorebird book is - Paulson, Dennis. Shorebirds of North American, The Photographic Guide. Princeton and Oxford, Princeton University Press. Published 2005. His dragonfly book I do not have.

Thanks everyone!
John, I have seen Dr. Paulson's Shorebird book, but was unaware of the dragonfly connection! Sounds like you had an amazing opportunity to study with him.
A great teacher like that can be a huge inspiration.

Being in the midwest, I wasn't familiar with his Western dragonfly guide. I mostly am using a dragonfly guide from Wisconsin, Michigan doesn't have a good guide. Unfortunately Wisconsin's guide doesn't have any damselflies...which is fair I suppose. There are so many incredible bird books, but few on dragonflies.

Ha, now that would be a fun project to work on.
I wonder how the idea would sell. The book industry is having tough times...who isn't though? For now it is fun to be painting them without a strict goal in mind.

Ha, now that would be a fun project to work on.
I wonder how the idea would sell. The book industry is having tough times...who isn't though? For now it is fun to be painting them without a strict goal in mind.

Oddly enough I was just thinking of buying a book on dragonflies and damselflies about a month ago. But I couldn't find one that seemed like I would be happy with. One had good recommendations except that the photos were too small. Some were for just one small area. Others didn't include damselflies, etc. So at least from what I've read there is some interest in such a project.

In the meantime just continue having fun painting them without a goal!

I think part of the problem with the Dragonfly/Damselflies is that to really identify many of them you have to catch them and have a loupe to check for varies tiny features. On top of that is the sheer volume of the individual species. I think that is why the books tend to split off the dragons from the damsels.

That being said, the small Stokes guide is actually quite good and not overly pricey. The photos are on the small side, but at the same time they make it simple to ID them to species in some cases, and groups in others, which is really all you typically want... unless you are the guy with the a huge butterfly net, lightning fast reflexes and loupe at the ready. I think the folks most interested in that are bringing them home dead in a jar to ID, which would kind of kill the magic of the moment. It would make them considerably easier to draw though! The birds make life much easier for us as far as identification... and they seem to have a better public relations team.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back