Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

A bit of a challenge (Bird ID thru call descript) Carara National Park - Costa Rica

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Monday 20th April 2009, 19:36   #1
libael

A bit of a challenge (Bird ID thru call descript) Carara National Park - Costa Rica

Hello everyone!

I'm new to the forum and the reason I subscribed is to ask everybody for some help.

I don't know if this is even possible but I've been listening to WAVs and MP3s online to try and find the exact song I heard yesterday, without any success, and it's driving me crazy.

So all I can do is give a description and see if anybody would be so very kind as to help me out. Brace yourselves, it might be long and chatty...but here goes:

I was in Carara National Park (in Costa Rica) yesterday, at about 8 a.m. and while walking the trails I heard a "tuk tuk" call in the distance, then nothing. As we walked a little bit more, the call went off again, this time a lot louder and more frequent (about one call every 2 minutes or so).

It sounded like a "moist" sound (if that makes any sense)...very loud, but not strident, but with a LOT of resonance instead. My husband describes it as two rocks hitting each other. For me it's more of a knock on wood.

One call is two sounds: Tuk-tuk, slightly ascending, "watery", very loud, very echoing....absolutely beautiful.

The park rangers outside told me it might be a woodpecker or a manakin...looked it up online and that's far from it.

The closest thing to it that I've round online is a mot mot call...but that is DEFINITELY not it.

Is it even a bird?

I've walked through many Costa Rican National Parks throughout my life, but have never heard this one sound before.

Please help! Thank you!

PS: It was a wonderful hike. I am by no means a bird watcher, but I did get to spot a Fiery beak Aracari!!! Very excited about that...and then some ibises, scarlet macaws, toucans, chacalacas, hummingbirds.
Old Monday 20th April 2009, 22:47   #2
Fritz73
BF Supporter 2020

Hola Libael!

A warm welcome to Birdforum from all the staff and mods.

Costa Rica is a wonderful place for birdwatching. I had the pleasure to visit the ticos las November.

Is it possible that you heard the drumming of a Pale-billed Woodpecker? These Campehilus-Woodpeckers usually mark their territory by drumming twice on a dead tree.

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 21st April 2009, 00:55   #3
Birdingcraft

Welcome to Bird Forum! I also live in Costa Rica-was in Carara about 10 days ago. Always great for birding and enjoying rain forest in general.
I am in agreement with Fritz- the first thing that comes to mind is the drumming of Pale-billed Woodpecker- a very recognizable "thudump"!
Old Tuesday 21st April 2009, 02:06   #4
libael

I just looked up a WAV file online and you are absolutely right!
Thank you so much, I will be able to sleep well tonight.

Thanks also for the warm welcome.

Costa Rica is a wonderful place for bird watching, that even if you're not into it, you eventually yield and become a fan of bird watching, even if it's very casual. Like me....so I will have many more questions in the future, and now I have somewhere to ask them.

Thanks! :)
Old Tuesday 21st April 2009, 02:12   #5
libael

Haha
Now that I think about it....this wasn't much of a challenge, after all, was it?
I'll try to come up with something more fun next time
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: