• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Coney Meadow and Adjoining Areas (3 Viewers)

Sedge Warbler singing in rough patch between river and canal at Tapenhall. One heard very briefly near Linacre bridge earlier where there were 3 singing Willow Warblers.

2 Little Egrets over Hawford and 1 Greylag in a field by the canal.

The Yellow Wagtail flew over again and headed north-west.

Further news from today - Sedge Warbler singing at Tapenhall pool on the island. Willow Warblers singing at Tapenhall House orchard, Porter's Mill and Gorsey Bank.

Meadow Pipits over in several areas including 2 over Coney this evening.

A dozen Sand Martins over Coney this evening but only 3 roosted.

1 Snipe flew out at dusk.

Raven over Porter's Mill late morning.

Singing Lesser Whitethroat between Chatley and Hawford. Probably the first time I've recorded one on thepatch before Common Whitethroat.

Singing Reed Warbler at Linacre bridge plus another (singing) Common Whitethroat, Sedge Warbler and Willow Warbler.

A scattering of Willow Warblers elsewhere including 2 around Tapenhall.

Tufted Duck at Mildenham Mill plus 4 Greylags over Porter's Mill. Pair of Gadwall Tapenhall and 2 Coots on the pool.

Just one Little Egret at New Mill first thing.

Last edited:
A very poor record shot of Saturday's Red kite attached - taken on my phone. I can't remember the last Red Kite I saw perched in a tree - probably in Wales about 10 years ago.

My only other record of Pied Flycatcher was a female on 19th July, 2010 which I discovered in the hedge around the picnic bench area at the entrance of Coney Meadow at around 6pm and it was still present at dusk.

A few items from this morning - both Lesser and Common Whitethroats along the railway line near Copcut Lane, female Tawny Owl calling at Salwarpe church, pair of Mandarin and pair of Gadwall still at New Mill, pair of Gadwall and Coot at Tapenhall.

23 Sand Martins roosted at Coney yesterday evening.

Attachments

• Red Kite 140418.jpg
    Red Kite 140418.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 38
Grasshopper Warbler reeling along the canal alongside Coney Meadow about half way between the two entrance gates from the footpath.

Last edited:
The Grasshopper warbler showed for a couple of minutes or so but the light was pretty poor at that time. When the light had improved, it had retreated into thicker cover.

One Reed Warbler singing at Porter's Mill near the lock.

A Barn Owl has just turned up hunting over Coney Meadow.

26 Sand Martins roosted. One Swallow earlier over Coney plus 2 over Chawson Lane.

Lesser Whitethroat Chawson Lane and another Copcut Lane.

Snipe flew from reedbed. Grasshopper Warbler still singing strongly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back