Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Cape May in November

Old Friday 27th July 2018, 22:17   #1
KEVIN BROWN
Casual Birder

Cape May in November

Doing a short road trip with my non birder wife, though she is quite tolerant of my obsession with wildlife in general. Baltimore, Philadelphia, Atlantic City and a couple of nights at Cape May, so I am hoping someone can recommend a place to stay and if there are any other places of interest we may pass, be them good for wildlife, or of general interest. An idea of what might be seen around Cape May would be good, though appreciate it is not the best time to visit, but our dates are fixed.
Old Friday 27th July 2018, 22:34   #2
Britseye

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEVIN BROWN View Post
Doing a short road trip with my non birder wife, though she is quite tolerant of my obsession with wildlife in general. Baltimore, Philadelphia, Atlantic City and a couple of nights at Cape May, so I am hoping someone can recommend a place to stay and if there are any other places of interest we may pass, be them good for wildlife, or of general interest. An idea of what might be seen around Cape May would be good, though appreciate it is not the best time to visit, but our dates are fixed.
I'm out of touch with the best places to stay in Cape May, having not lived there for sixteen years, but don't let anyone tell you that November isn't the best time to visit. It can be spectacular. Any cold fronts in late October through to about the second week of November can deliver massive falls of Robins, Sparrows, Yellow-rumped Warblers, along with hundreds of Hawks, Gulls, Goldfinches and dozens of Hermit Thrushes, Bluebirds, Meadowlarks, Woodcock and so on. It is also a month local birders find more western and south-western rarities than any other time of year. I've seen Brown-chested Martin and MacGillivray's Warbler on the same day there as well as Western Tanager, Western Kingbird, Ash-throated Flycatcher, loads of Cave Swallows on separate occasions... oh, and Owls: it's good for Saw-whets at that time too, although you'll need to enlist the help of the Bird Observatory to assist you finding them.

Please note, the above is a distillation of about five Novembers spent there. You definitely won't see all the birds I mentioned, but keep your fingers crossed for - I'll emphasize it again - cold fronts, and if it happens, you're laughing.

Good luck
Old Friday 27th July 2018, 23:41   #3
ovenbird43

I can't comment on places to stay either, but I can recommend adding Edwin B. Forsythe National Wildlife Refuge to your itinerary - the wildlife drive should be excellent for waterfowl in November, in addition to some other saltmarsh birds.
Old Saturday 28th July 2018, 20:09   #4
andyadcock

Why don't you get this book.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Birds-Birdi...ng+at+Cape+may

A
Old Saturday 28th July 2018, 21:56   #5
KEVIN BROWN
Casual Birder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovenbird43 View Post
I can't comment on places to stay either, but I can recommend adding Edwin B. Forsythe National Wildlife Refuge to your itinerary - the wildlife drive should be excellent for waterfowl in November, in addition to some other saltmarsh birds.
May well give this a try, thank you.
Old Saturday 28th July 2018, 21:57   #6
KEVIN BROWN
Casual Birder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britseye View Post
I'm out of touch with the best places to stay in Cape May, having not lived there for sixteen years, but don't let anyone tell you that November isn't the best time to visit. It can be spectacular. Any cold fronts in late October through to about the second week of November can deliver massive falls of Robins, Sparrows, Yellow-rumped Warblers, along with hundreds of Hawks, Gulls, Goldfinches and dozens of Hermit Thrushes, Bluebirds, Meadowlarks, Woodcock and so on. It is also a month local birders find more western and south-western rarities than any other time of year. I've seen Brown-chested Martin and MacGillivray's Warbler on the same day there as well as Western Tanager, Western Kingbird, Ash-throated Flycatcher, loads of Cave Swallows on separate occasions... oh, and Owls: it's good for Saw-whets at that time too, although you'll need to enlist the help of the Bird Observatory to assist you finding them.

Please note, the above is a distillation of about five Novembers spent there. You definitely won't see all the birds I mentioned, but keep your fingers crossed for - I'll emphasize it again - cold fronts, and if it happens, you're laughing.

Good luck
Thats good to know, thank you.
Old Saturday 28th July 2018, 22:02   #7
KEVIN BROWN
Casual Birder

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadcock View Post
Thanks, but may be a little dated
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: