• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Panasonic G series cameras (1 Viewer)

roger48

Panasonic have announced two new cameras, the G2 and the G10. The latter has touch screen facilities. Excellent but where are the new lenses? There now are five cameras in the series, about the same number of lenses!

The real disappointment, as far as I'm concerned, with the whole 'G' range is that they decided to put image stabilisation in the lens, not the body. Had they not done so, I'd have bought one by now. Apart from anything else I suspect that a IS body would have increased the chances of cheaper third party lenses being made to accomodate this range - perhaps that why they didn't take this route!

John,

I think you are right about the independent lenses, but I understand that in body IS would increase the camera size significantly which somewhat negates the micro 4/3 notion of really small size.

Just shows that nothing is ever perfect.

G2 Looks Promising

I have the G1 and have been considering another micro 4/3 camera to get video. I passed on the GH1 as it was just too expensive with the kit zoom. The G2 looks interesting as it has video and the touchscreen. It appears to have an improved finder and screen as well. Hopefully, image and focus performance have also been improved. I have a Pana P&S camera (FX500) with a touchscreen and I do like that feature.

I too wish Panasonic or Olympus would give us some new lenses. The announcement does include a new kit lens which appears to almost duplicates the one they had for the G1 - my speculation is that it will be quieter than the previous version so it can be useful for video. I do wish Panasonic used in-camera stablization - primarily because any nice lens that Oly comes out with won't have it.

I look forward to the reviews (and seeing how this camera will be priced).

Greg

John,

I think you are right about the independent lenses, but I understand that in body IS would increase the camera size significantly which somewhat negates the micro 4/3 notion of really small size.

Just shows that nothing is ever perfect.

Olympus seem to manage an in-body system without the body being too large ......

At the Focus on Imaging show yesterday at the NEC a new 17mm pancake and a 100mm to 300mm zoom were on display but firmly locked up. Both these system lenses will be available later this year apparently. The zoom will be equivalent to 200mm to 600 mm on "ordinary" cameras. Can't wait and look forward to later this year!!

The G2 looks interesting as it has video and the touchscreen. It appears to have an improved finder and screen as well.
Sorry Greg, I think the viewfinder of the G2 is the same as in G1.
The G10 has the one with reduced pixel number, also available as add-on to the GF1.
The 14-42 seems to be a cheaper variant of the 14-45 with plastic bajonet, no switch.
The G10 at all is a price breaker made from existing parts, but it's loosing the important digiscoping features like good viewfinder, rotateable display, automatic switching between EVF/LCD ... May be a G1 at the end of lifetime is a better buy and cheaper as a G10 for digiscoping usage.

Hi Geoff,
Have arrived at this page due to my interest in the new Panasonic 100-300mm lens too. This may be the lens to move me into bird photography properly. I am currently using a P&S, but the case is building to move into micro 4/3. I can see myself using an EPL1 or GF1 with a small prime for most stuff, but a G10 body with the (small) big lens stashed for the special opportunities. This set up could all fit in a smallish bag, along with an intermediate zoom which is bound to come as a kit with one or the other body.
Good times!

At the Focus on Imaging show yesterday at the NEC a new 17mm pancake and a 100mm to 300mm zoom were on display but firmly locked up. Both these system lenses will be available later this year apparently. The zoom will be equivalent to 200mm to 600 mm on "ordinary" cameras. Can't wait and look forward to later this year!!

Anyone heard more about the 100-300mm? is it vapor-ware or for real?

thanks
Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back