• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

fz38 for flight shots (1 Viewer)

peter hill

Im quite new to the idea that you can get a decant flight shot with a compact camara have got the fz38 but am unsure how to get the best out of it on a flying bird ,have tried it twice on the turns at cemlyn bay on anglesey and the best results seem to be by having the zoom about 10x rather than the 18 thats avaible im quite sure there must be other people on here that would benifit from expert help ,any pointer would be good thanks B :)

I have the fz18, so an older version, but I believe the menu is mostly the same:

you can try the different focusing options, if you go into the menu click AF mode, and choose the one with one square and an "H" next to it. (For stationary objects, I use the smallest single square). This I believe works best with relatively slow birds, such as an overhead osprey.

If you are talking about fast moving buggers that have predictable places they are coming (for example in front of a bush), try using the bottom AF/MF to switch to MF and use the joystick to do the actual focusing in the area you expect the birds to come, and then shoot when they are there. I have found it difficult but not completely impossible.

For an example of MF, look here (the weather was pretty dark that day).

Niels

This was 1 of the sandwitch terns returning with a sandeel

Yes, that's a typical one, I'm afraid. The camera does not do well at all on fast moving objects when the zoom is over about 8x or so. That's when I begin to envy the DSLR guys. I presume it has got to do with the different way autofocussing has to be measured for the two types of cameras.

I have the FZ28, which isn't as fast at focusing as the FZ38, or so I'm told. I've got some reasonable results of BIF, but I use different methods depending on how I feel at the time.

Two methods I use most are:

Aperture Priority + Spot focusing + Spot Metering + 12* zoom

Or; Multi Focusing (11 points) with the other settings the same.

I also often have the TCON17 attached, in which case the zoom might only be 8*.

Now you won't get any Swifts (believe me, I've tried), but then there's plenty of people with a DSLR that won't get a Swift in flight either. Gulls, Herons, Geese, Ducks, etc, are all possible, you just need to practice a lot (Gulls are good for this). If you're not worried about the noise reduction used (mine is on -2, but you can't change this in the Auto modes), you could try the Sports mode, providing you have good light, as it will give you a fast shutter speed.

BTW, I only ever use Manual Focus for tricky birds in foliage/reeds.

Here's a few examples from my gallery, none are DSLR quality, but that's because I don't have/want a DSLR:

EXIF data is embedded in each picture, so you can check what settings I used.

http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/286827/ppuser/69033

http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/300466/ppuser/69033

http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/314579/ppuser/69033

http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/268594/ppuser/69033

http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/268745/ppuser/69033

http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/284156/ppuser/69033

I have the FZ28, which isn't as fast at focusing as the FZ38, or so I'm told. I've got some reasonable results of BIF, ........[/url]

These are great shots, so there is hope after all. I used the FZ28, but now have the FZ35/38. Thus, I can confirm that the FZ28 is slower. And for that reason I particularly adore your achievents. I will try your settings in the future, as I have usually set the camera to P mode.

Thanks Robert.

I should have added that I only use the 11 point multi-focus against a clear sky, otherwise it can focus on a tree or even a dark cloud. I do also sometimes use the High Speed focus (as Niels said), but because I'm using the Spot Focus for birds in trees/bushes more often, I tend not to get time to change it.

Oh, and if you take a loaf of bread to a lake, you can have hours of practice with Gulls in flight.|=)|

Are there any rumors of the follow up to this series yet?

thanks
Niels

Have not seen anything yet, though it would be about time. But Panasonic is pushing the G series now. I'm afraid they just consider improving the FZ series as probably cutting into their own G series market.

Have not seen anything yet, though it would be about time. But Panasonic is pushing the G series now. I'm afraid they just consider improving the FZ series as probably cutting into their own G series market.

They are not even close in reach of the G series yet ...

Niels

They are not even close in reach of the G series yet ...

Niels

So what's it that is very much better other than the viewfinder? I have not really followed it as it's too large and too inconvenient for me now. I still have an analog SLR with bulky lenses that are no longer in use. I could get a digital body, but the weight and bulk when traveling would be more than I want now. Thus, any improvements on the compact level in the range of the FZ35/38 are what I'm interested in at this point.

I am not sure my wording in my last post is very clear, but I am quite a lot like you Robert, there is a film SLR in the shelves and a FZ18 in my bag ...

Niels

That's not a Sand Eel!

My partner has a new one of these cameras. Already the results are superb!

As we learn, will keep you posted!

I am not sure my wording in my last post is very clear, but I am quite a lot like you Robert, there is a film SLR in the shelves and a FZ18 in my bag ...

Niels

So did I misunderstand you then? I meant you said the FZ were far from the G's, even with an update. But apparently you meant the opposite? Maybe my problem with English not being my native language?

So did I misunderstand you then? I meant you said the FZ were far from the G's, even with an update. But apparently you meant the opposite? Maybe my problem with English not being my native language?

I was trying to say that with the lenses awailable, the G1 etc did not have any lenses remotely like the reach we like in the FZ38. Therefore, until that changes, the G1 series is out for me (even after, it probably still will be too heavy).

I also have English as second language, and I was probably running tired when I wrote that post that did not come out at all clear.

Niels

B :)
I was trying to say that with the lenses awailable, the G1 etc did not have any lenses remotely like the reach we like in the FZ38. Therefore, until that changes, the G1 series is out for me (even after, it probably still will be too heavy).

I also have English as second language, and I was probably running tired when I wrote that post that did not come out at all clear.

Niels

OK, thanks. All cleared up now. |=)|

I think most of us understood what you meant Niels, there are time when we native english speakers will muddle things a little.

Sadly I too think that panasonic are pushing the G series at the expense of the FZ series, in reality I thik that these new large sensor compact cameras offer little (if any) real advantage over the lighter DSLRs, and it appears to me to simply be a method of offering a cheaper and easy to make product for the same price as a DSLR I would prefer to see someone to offer a small sensor DSLR perhaps a modern equivilent of the old Pentax 110. And the sensors used in the FZ series would be well up to the job. Whilst many will make the usual arguments about the advantages of large sensors, the reality is that for many of us the trade off in lighter weight would be worthwhile.

I love the quality of the images from my Sony a550, but for a lot of the time the results from my FZ28 are more than adequate for my needs and the fz28 can be carried casually.

SW

Last edited:
I personally think that the FZ series and the G series have two different purposes and therefore should appeal to two different groups of people, and Panasonic would do well in pushing both:

The FZ should grow in maximum reach (more that then the other end) and hopefully with improved low light ability.

G series is for people who like the exchangable lenses idea and a sensor as good as the smaller SLRs, and here, the idea of a long reach lens will probably not appeal to a lot of the purchasers of this segment, because it will add more weight than most of those are interested in (my guess, not something I have made a survey of ;) )

Niels

.....The FZ should grow ..... hopefully with improved low light ability.

.....Niels

I wonder how much a slight increase in lens aperture would bring vs how much the camera would have to be bulkier for that? There is already quite a bit of size difference between my FZ8 and the FZ35/38. To the point where I usually take the FZ8 along unless I plan to do HD videos.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back