• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lee Valley Bash: Post Mortem And Official Bf Pic! (1 Viewer)

P

peter hayes

Lee Valley Official Bash 23 February 2003

Occasion: Bird Fair

Participants: Paul Rule, Kevin, Dave Smith, Andy Bright, Steve, Green Fields, Peter Hayes plus companion.

Lee Valley is a country park 23 miles long stretching across roads, railway lines and county boundaries involving huge expanses of water and various protected areas and sites of special interest. It also contains the national Bittern Viewing Point which has just been awarded loads of Euro dosh to massively expand the reed beds to encourage Bitterns to breed and boom.

We met up at 10.30 on a calm day, with te weather already making a mockery of the forecasts, it was mild and dry, becoming warmer by the hour.

On the way to the RV point, I immediately saw 2 extremely vocal Robins in the car park, quickly followed by a Wren and a large, extremely healthy looking brown rat, which scrabbled along right in front of us. We also saw a grey squirrel.

The walk alongside the canal was pleasant, with 5 Tufted Duck, 5 pairs of Mallard and 4 Coot on view. To our left, the sailing club lake had approximately 40 Coot, 8 Mute Swans, 2 Canada Geese, 4 Wigeon, a further 4 Tufted duck and a rather malevolent looking Great Crested Grebe. In the canal meanwhile, 4 Moorhen were showing together with a further 10 Coot. As we crossed over the canal we saw a female Bullfinch and 2 Magpie.

As we approached 70 Acre Lake we saw many more Coot – too many to count – and the first four of many more Canada Geese. A great Crested Grebe seemed to remain static in the water, looking absolutely magnificent through the scope. We then saw 16 Mute Swans, 10 Pochard, 4 Tufted Duck and 10 more Canada Geese.

As my companion and I approached the entrance to the Bird Fair, a Little Owl was pointed out to us on the branch of a nearby tree. An excellent start. We met up with the others and viewed the trade stands in the two marquees. Steve thought the atmosphere was rather better than the fair at Slimbridge, and certainly everyone was extremely friendly as we thrust BF cards at them whether they liked it or not! We got rid of several hundred of them, so expect many more birders to register over the next few days!

Kevin noted that I was improperly dressed, and proceeded to make significant changes to my apparel, including tightening knots, belts, buckles and harnesses, muttering under his breath that things had never been quite the same since the end of National Service. He, of course, was magnificent as usual in full jungle training outfit: everything camouflaged and held in position on his back. Enough hardware, tools and essential supplies to survive for weeks.

We then walked towards the Bittern View Point, noting a Jay, and several Tits (Long Tailed, Great and Blue en route). We took the usual BF group picture in front of a public lavatory (although I post a much more suitable pic below). The Bittern hide was like Fortnum & Mason on a Saturday morning. Our elusive friend the Bittern had not been seen since 08.00 (it was now 11.30) and it was hardly surprising; the noise coming out of the hide from so many people drifted straight out to the reeds in front of us.

As we looked out, we could see many Gulls, Coot and Canada Geese, and we heard the constant refrain from non birding visitors: “Well where is it then?” Meaning the Bittern. Because the hide is clearly labelled ‘Bittern Viewing Point’ they expected one to be on display all day long! They felt cheated when 30 pairs of binoculars failed to spot anything.

Steve was spotted though – surreptitiously pinning BF cards to the official RSPB notice board. Naughty boy. Outside, we regrouped near the lake and spotted a white headed Cormorant, something none of us had seen before. It really was rather startling.

Then a guide pointed out a female Sparrow Hawk. I just managed to get my scope on it for a good look before it flew off. Andy Bright was heard to utter the immortal words: “All I ever get is young males.”

All this walking was too much for our leader, so we carried Steve back to the hospitality tent. Lunch was extremely pleasant for my companion and I: chicken and avocado rolls with spring onion, shredded lettuce and tomato. We washed this down with a fine coffee accompanied by a Geo bar. The entertainment was provided by Kevin, who systematically cleaned his three pipes, one after the other, with military precision.

We had another tour of the trade stands, spraying out cards as we went. And there were some interesting characters there, including David Cottridge, a brilliant bird photographer and author. As a result of us chatting them up, Essex Birders and East London Birders have promised to look in on BF.

We then bade farewell to Steve, Andy Bright, Green Fields and Kevin. Dave Smith went on a hunt for some Waxwings, and Paul Rule and I joined a guided walk led by two Lee Valley rangers. The guide said Lee Valley was nationally known for Coot. That must be why they occupy every single stretch of water, we mused. We also saw Shoveler, Pochard, several more Great Crested Grebe, a Goldcrest, lots more Tits, and Paul located a marvellous Great Spotted Woodpecker attacking an old oak tree with gusto.

Our party of Bird Fair walkers (about 30 people) then crossed paths with Dave, who had successfully found the Waxwings. A small group of us then abandoned the official walk (and Paul Rule, who stayed with them) and went off on in search of the WW’s. Fifteen minutes later, in trees on the edge of a car park, we were rewarded with superb views of four Waxwings. You could clearly see the large crest and reddish colour combined with the narrow eye mask. Also visible: the yellow tail band and yellow and red sections to the feathers.

The perfect end to a great day with good companions. It was good to meet Paul and Dave for the first time, and I hope to meet many more BF members at the next BF trip: KentBash on 30 March.

Attachments

• lee-valley-group-pic.jpg
    lee-valley-group-pic.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 365
The line up of beauties in the photograph is as follows, from L to
R: Paul Rule, Peter Hayes, Green Fields, Kevin, Andy Bright, Dave Smith.

It certainly was a great day out, and I look forward to the Minsmere Bash.

Just one omission Peter, The 3 Smew (1 drake, 2 redheads) on the guided walk.

I also saw 2 Smew (1 drake, 1 redhead) after we parted and a nice male Sparrow Hawk :t: :t: :t:

Here is a classic shot of Kevin in full combat gear with pipe.

Attachments

• kevin.jpg
    kevin.jpg
    262.9 KB · Views: 359
What about the close encounter of the Chiffchaff kind at the ringing tent?
I really enjoyed the day, good to see two new faces. I think BF made a major impression on the event today, hopefully new members will drift in during the week after finding their crumpled BF cards in their pockets. Many will visit as guests until they find a thread they want to answer.
Minsmere next! and that will be a roaring success, with lots of birds and members.
Andy

Waaahhh! You got Waxwings, Little Owl and Smew. Not fair (throws rattle out of pram)!

A thoroughly good read Peter and gosh a twenty three mile long nature reserve. Sounds good enough to spend a week there!

Thanks for the report Peter, it went a good way to being able to share in the experiences of the days. Sounds like you all had a great time.

Excellent report as usual Peter. What a way to end the day with those Waxwings. Little owl as well. I still haven't seen one of those this year.

I saw an Andy Bright error in your writings. It is as follows:
<Andy Bright was heard to utter the immortal words: “All I ever get is young males.”>

Now he shouldn't really admit to that in public: LOL

Thanks IanF and JohnJ very much for your kind comments. I think it's good to share what trips with people who can't get there.

Andrew: you're dead right - you could spent a week there at least! You'll have to plan a trip there some day.

Andy: you're right, seeing a Chiffchaff so close (in someone's hand) was amazing. Sadly the picture isn't worth using, as it was on automatic focus and decided not to focus on the bird!

How I missed that out of my report I don't know. I suspect it was female distraction!

It was very nice to meet some of the important members of the forum and put faces to names.

In addition to the birds recorded above I also had good views of white fronted geese, 3 snipe flying overhead, goldeneye (m&f), fieldfare, bh gull, lesser b.b. gull, common gull, jackdaw (a field full), gooseander, little grebe, ruddy duck, about 9 fallow deer on a distant field. One of the walking group saw kingfisher.

The highlights for me were seeing at close quarters the waxwings (a first for me) and the white fronted geese.

On the organised walk we saw a cormorant roost. Our guide said that the white headed ones were a European species. We also saw a magpie roost - it looked quite funny seeing all these lollypop shapes in one quite small tree.

All in all it was a very enjoyable day, many thanks to Steve & Peter for organising it. I look forward to the Kentbash.

Thankyou Steve for the cap, I will wear it with pride.

Last edited:
Great report Peter, as for the Little Owl and the Smew AND the Waxwings, humph.......not seen a little Owl or a Waxwing this year and i am getting desparate.....

I am bunking off work tomorrow and heading off to the London Wetland Centre, i was there on a hot summers day last August and was immpressed with what they have done, so i am looking forward to seeing it again tomorrow.

Excellent read Peter and I thoroughly enjoyed this outing.. I love reading all about the travels and trips of BF groups...thanks

Dave: very good to hear from you and I'm glad you enjoyed the day. Nice to read about what you saw - so many highlights! See you at KentBash.

Kingfisher: thank you very much for your comments. I hope you enjoyed Barnes today; it is a great place. I will be suggesting a BF trip there in four weeks time - perhaps you'll be able to make it. It'll be a Saturday.

Gaye: I'm please you enjoyed the report. It must be difficult being so far away, and having never met us. Perhaps the photographs help to bring everyone a little closer!

JohnJ: my lips are sealed.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back