• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tayforth Birding (2 Viewers)

Red Kites

if you want to see Red Kites travel to the Village Braco and take the Braco to Comrie road over the moorland.I viewed 6 Red kites up there also Buzzards,Kestrels,Sparrowhawks and Short eared owls.

ive been to these places and they are the best sites in perthshire for birds of prey.Try the sherrifmuir road also very good.

I'm glad you found your way here Cam.

I haven't seen Short Eared Owls this way for a long time now.

From your other post I see you're beside Glenquey... I didn't used to see much in the way of birds when I was there (mind I wasn't really a 'birder' then). I can only remember Mute Swans and Reed Buntings.

D

Hi cam85,keep your eyes and ears open when your up there,good chance of hearing/seeing Cuckoo,I've heard them often

There was a Green-winged Teal and up to 5 Scaup at Findatie, Loch Leven yesterday Plus drake Smew at both Kirkgate and Vane Farm (2 Birds). There are also a number of Red-breasted Mergansers around the Kirkgate. There was also a Greenshank on St Serfs. Good birding considering most of the birds cleared out during the cold weather and when the water levels rose last week.

There was a Green-winged Teal and up to 5 Scaup at Findatie, Loch Leven yesterday Plus drake Smew at both Kirkgate and Vane Farm (2 Birds). There are also a number of Red-breasted Mergansers around the Kirkgate. There was also a Greenshank on St Serfs. Good birding considering most of the birds cleared out during the cold weather and when the water levels rose last week.

The Teal had repatriated to Vane Farm flood yesterday.

After work this morning i decided to go up to montrose to see if the avocet was still around. I didnt check tide times or find out if the bird was still there but had that gut feeling that the bird was probably gone and the tide would be out...surprise surprise...the tide was coming in and the avocet was still ther First time i've seen one in Scotland. Stil to be seen from Rossie Spit. The lutistic Oyc was also in attendance.
Darell:t:

Attachments

• Avocet and lutistic oyc.jpg
    Avocet and lutistic oyc.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 126
  • Avocet at Montrose Basin.jpg
    Avocet at Montrose Basin.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 111
Did anyone take part in the RSPB garden bird survey this weekend?

The weather was lovely by us today (between Abernethy & Newburgh) and the highlight was the appearance of a family of long tailed tits at our bird feeder as I was surveying! A tree creeper turned up as well in a Rowan tree and our pair of great spotted woodpeckers weren't going to miss out on the extra survey fat cakes either!

cheers

Last edited:
Hi Kingofit and welcome to Bird Forum from all the Staff and Moderators

I couldn't do the Garden Watch unfortunately as, living in a flat, I don't have a garden, . Thanks for letting us know what you saw though. Long Tailed Tits are right up there at the top of my favourite birds... you're so lucky to have them in your garden

Keep an eye on the Scottish Bash Discussion Thread we try and arrange a few meetings through the year and you'd be most welcome to join us if you can manage.

D

Great stuff Delia.

I'd love to come along if possible - will keep an eye on things.

Your avatar is a bird I know very well having spent hours watching them fish...but that is another story for another time ;O)

cheers

Great stuff Delia.

I'd love to come along if possible - will keep an eye on things.

Your avatar is a bird I know very well having spent hours watching them fish...but that is another story for another time ;O)

cheers

As I say you'd be welcome. The next one is the 9/10th February in the Forth Valley, but we're planning on starting at Scone Palace for the Hawfinch.

Hey Darell, I see you've been twitching:-O Is that Avocet a first for Scotland do you know?

D

First winter Glaucous Gull at Loch Leven yesterday afternoon. It was loafing at Kirkgate point for much of the afternoon.

It was the first record on the site since 16th/17th October 1971. A genuine patch mega. Far better then the Baird's Sand!!!

First winter Glaucous Gull at Loch Leven yesterday afternoon. It was loafing at Kirkgate point for much of the afternoon.

It was the first record on the site since 16th/17th October 1971. A genuine patch mega. Far better then the Baird's Sand!!!

Forgot to mention that a there is a pair of Smew at Vane farm and a Slavonian Grebe at Burleigh Sands.

Sounds like we might have a good start to the next Bash then.... thanks for that

D

Hi Delia

sorry to but in. There were two Avocets on the Ythan (at Waulkmill) a couple of years back, feeding almost right at my feet

cheers

Ken

Hi Delia

sorry to but in. There were two Avocets on the Ythan (at Waulkmill) a couple of years back, feeding almost right at my feet

cheers

Ken

Hi Ken... how you doing?

Thanks for that... I seem to have missed them (or perhaps my memory is not so good:-O

D

and just to complete the story...... went to Montrose today and saw the Avocet. Eventually. I've just had a look in the NE Scotland Bird Report, and I see there has been one at Strathbeg annually 2000 - 2005.

regards,

ken

As I say you'd be welcome. The next one is the 9/10th February in the Forth Valley, but we're planning on starting at Scone Palace for the Hawfinch.

Hey Darell, I see you've been twitching:-O Is that Avocet a first for Scotland do you know?

D

Avocet are an annual Vagrant to Scotland particually in early spring. There is even a Loch Leven record. Vane farm, Mid May 2002. I saw it but it was found by some visiting Americans.

Avocet are an annual Vagrant to Scotland particually in early spring. There is even a Loch Leven record. Vane farm, Mid May 2002. I saw it but it was found by some visiting Americans.

Thanks.... time I got one then:-O

Is there much around the loch just now?

D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back