• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Blue Tit and Wren sharing same tree hole (1 Viewer)

I have noticed a (Winter) Wren coming to a Blue Tit tree hole. The Blue Tits have been in the hole about 3.5 weeks and the chicks must be close to fledging.
The Wren has only just started approaching the hole. When it first started coming, it would hide if it saw the Blue Tit, and then only go in the hole only once the Blue tit had left. The Wren seems to leave the nest with food in its bill but sometimes it comes to the hole with food in its bill too. It is a bit of a mystery whether it is stealing food from the Blue Tit chicks or whether it is feeding the chicks itself, which seems less likely. I am certain it does not have chicks of its own in the hole, as it only started entering it cautiously about three days ago.
Any opinions welcomed.

I have noticed a (Winter) Wren coming to a Blue Tit tree hole. The Blue Tits have been in the hole about 3.5 weeks and the chicks must be close to fledging.
The Wren has only just started approaching the hole. When it first started coming, it would hide if it saw the Blue Tit, and then only go in the hole only once the Blue tit had left. The Wren seems to leave the nest with food in its bill but sometimes it comes to the hole with food in its bill too. It is a bit of a mystery whether it is stealing food from the Blue Tit chicks or whether it is feeding the chicks itself, which seems less likely. I am certain it does not have chicks of its own in the hole, as it only started entering it cautiously about three days ago.
Any opinions welcomed.

Is the 'food' that the Wren is bringing out of the nest box white in colour? If so, this will almost certainly be the Wren taking the faecal sac away from a chick, as parent birds do. It does sound like your Wren has heard the cries of the chicks and has responded by feeding them. It's not all that unusual especially if, say, the Wren has lost its own chicks or maybe he's awaiting the hatching of his own chicks. I've only seen it in my garden once when a Robin decided to reach up and feed a fully grown Blackbird youngster who had left the nest and was nearing independence. The urge to feed chicks at this time of year is very strong and unusual occurrences like this do happen, you're lucky to see it!

Hi Franmol,
The Wren did seem to be clearing out faecal sacs, as they were white in colour, as you say. So it must have been unable to resist the urge to feed and care for the Blue Tit chicks.
On one occasion two wrens went in to have a look at the same time.
I did notice, to start with, that the Wren hid from the Blue tit when it came out of the hole, or else flew quickly away and hid in a bush and waited there for the Blue Tit to depart. It stopped doing this when it must have realised that the Blue Tits were tolerating its presence in the hole, as both species ended up in the hole at the same time on several occasions.
My 8 year old son was very pleased to get your reply, having taken an avid interest in the proceedings, so many thanks for your reply.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back