• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Caterpillar advice and ID (1 Viewer)

thomasclark1985

Hi,

I’ve just found this caterpillar on some broccoli in my fridge, does anyone know what it is? Also, I might try to rear it, so any advice would be great, as I’ve never done it before. It’s 40-50mm approx, If it helps.

Many thanks,

Tom

Attachments

• 5DA22B87-E292-44B7-9946-55B238AF2C3E.jpg
    5DA22B87-E292-44B7-9946-55B238AF2C3E.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 27
  • A2B5CB17-F466-40DE-B54E-5BC0E08E7C5C.jpg
    A2B5CB17-F466-40DE-B54E-5BC0E08E7C5C.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 35
Presumably it was feeding on the broccoli and that it was of UK origin.
It looks like it might be the brown form of Phlogophora meticulosa, the Angle Shades.
If so it will probably continue to eat until it's fully grown then pupate. Just place the larva in a container with some moss or tissue in the bottom and place it somewhere cool and out of the sun. It will probably emerge after a couple of weeks.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back