• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (43 Viewers)

Very stock shot of a little egret put on because I like the clarity of the ankle joints and the yellow feet.

Also because it was the shot I used to learn to resize my pics to fit quickly and easily on here. Easy when somebody explains it in simple words. Not sure why I stopped being able to do it.
Phil E

Attachments

• DSCN7091 (2).jpg
    DSCN7091 (2).jpg
    317.8 KB · Views: 59
When I attatch pics to email I have to put them on in reverse order to get the sequence to come out in the order I want. That obviously doesn't work here!|=(|

All shot in 16:9 and cropped quickly using resize prog for speed . Hence the odd compositions. Why 16:9 - simply because I like viewing on a tv screen
Shot from the East Hide. Golden Plovers to follow,
Phil E

Attachments

• having a stretch.jpg
    having a stretch.jpg
    340.3 KB · Views: 65
  • on the island.jpg
    on the island.jpg
    459.6 KB · Views: 47
  • On the water.jpg
    On the water.jpg
    329.2 KB · Views: 43
  • blue  line marks the island edge.jpg
    blue line marks the island edge.jpg
    253.6 KB · Views: 40
Was going to put a couple more on but I forgot to resize them . May do so later but even now this is time consuming. Can see why people are posting to twitter and linking. Looks like I will have to climb into the 21st cent. after all

24 is a distant shot of golden plovers but the number is clear- some better shots but I need to play with the resizes. Okay so J'm a slow learner!
Phil E

Attachments

• 24.JPG
    24.JPG
    141.3 KB · Views: 52
  • Cooling the feet 1.jpg
    Cooling the feet 1.jpg
    533.5 KB · Views: 60
  • Having a stretch 2.jpg
    Having a stretch 2.jpg
    430.8 KB · Views: 52
This may be the wrong thread to post this in but could anyone please tell me what number the Worcestershire county list stands at and what the most notable birds are to have occurred?

Many thanks,

Chris

This may be the wrong thread to post this in but could anyone please tell me what number the Worcestershire county list stands at and what the most notable birds are to have occurred?

Many thanks,

Chris

Out on the lash tonight Chris but will try to answer this over the weekend.

By notable do you mean fewest national records?

Many thanks,

Chris

I think the county list stands at 302 per the latest (2016?) WMBC report. Decent stiff, purely from memory:

Least Sandpiper, Baird's Sandpiper, White-rumped Sandpiper, Lesser Yellowlegs, Wilson's Phalarope (2 records), Blue-winged Teal (3), Long-billed Dowitcher (2), Black-winged Stilt (2), Black Stork, Rustic Bunting, Pallas's Warbler, Ring-necked Duck (2 or 3), Green-winged Teal (2/3), Ring-billed Gull (2/3), Night Heron (2/3), Alpine Swift (2), Red-rumped Swallow (2), Dusky Thrush, Black-throated Thrush, Rose-coloured Starling (2/3 - none twitchable), Woodchat Shrike (very long time ago!). I'm sure others with access to reports will come up with more.

Female Goosander still on the Sailing Pool this morning as per Phil W

As it had done yesterday the female Goosander had flown to the Moors Pool by late morning/early afternoon. Also at the Moors Pool were the following:

Pochard 40, Teal 32, Mallard 30, Tufted Duck 26, Shoveler 19, Gadwall 2, Little Grebe 3, GC Grebe (1 on North Moors Pool), Mute Swan 4, Coot 20, Canada Goose 12, Cormorant 13, Grey Heron 2, Lapwing c200, Curlew, Water Rail, Kingfisher, Cetti's Warbler, Buzzard, 20 Starling, 2 Song Thrush, 100+ Redwing, c50 Fieldfare.

I think the county list stands at 302 per the latest (2016?) WMBC report. Decent stiff, purely from memory:

Least Sandpiper, Baird's Sandpiper, White-rumped Sandpiper, Lesser Yellowlegs, Wilson's Phalarope (2 records), Blue-winged Teal (3), Long-billed Dowitcher (2), Black-winged Stilt (2), Black Stork, Rustic Bunting, Pallas's Warbler, Ring-necked Duck (2 or 3), Green-winged Teal (2/3), Ring-billed Gull (2/3), Night Heron (2/3), Alpine Swift (2), Red-rumped Swallow (2), Dusky Thrush, Black-throated Thrush, Rose-coloured Starling (2/3 - none twitchable), Woodchat Shrike (very long time ago!). I'm sure others with access to reports will come up with more.

The WMBC report for 2015, which is available on-line, gives the county total as 304. Since then Baird's Sandpiper (Upton Warren), Dusky Warbler (Ripple Pits) and Lesser Yellowlegs (Longdon Marsh) have been added to the list, raising the total to 307.

Thanks all for your responses. Yes Phil by notable I was referring to either national rarities or scarce species that have only occured within the county on a single or few occassions.

Chris

These are those that have appeared at Upton Warren

Least Sandpiper, Baird's Sandpiper, Wilson's Phalarope (2 records), Blue-winged Teal (3), Black-winged Stilt Rustic Bunting, Ring-billed Gull , Alpine Swift , Red-rumped Swallow .
Of the 9 species I have seen 6 and not seen - ring billed gull. Alpine swift and rustic bunting:t:

The WMBC report for 2015, which is available on-line, gives the county total as 304. Since then Baird's Sandpiper (Upton Warren), Dusky Warbler (Ripple Pits) and Lesser Yellowlegs (Longdon Marsh) have been added to the list, raising the total to 307.

The latest published WMBC report (2016) has a county list of 306 for Worcestershire, to which the said Lesser Yellowlegs has been added to reach 307.

Thanks all for your responses. Yes Phil by notable I was referring to either national rarities or scarce species that have only occured within the county on a single or few occassions.

Chris

The following species assessed by the British Birds Rarities Committee have occurred in Worcestershire; with the number of national records up to the end of 1995 stated afterwards. Those which have occurred at Upton Warren are in bold:

Dusky Thrush - 11
Least Sandpiper - 37
Pine Bunting - 50
Tengmalm's Owl - 57
Black-throated Thrush - 74
Collared Pratincole - 94
Great Bustard - 104
Squacco Heron - 167
Lesser Grey Shrike - 194
Laughing Gull - 200
Whiskered Tern - 213
Wilson's Phalarope - 245
Long-billed Dowitcher - 248
Baird's Sandpiper - 259
Black Stork - 259
Blue-winged Teal - 273
Great Reed Warbler - 279
Caspian Tern - 306
Gull-billed Tern - 357
Lesser Yellowlegs - 362
Two-barred Crossbill - 371
Black-winged Stilt - 499
Little Bittern - 501
Pallas's Sandgrouse - 6,855

Last edited:
Thanks all for your responses. Yes Phil by notable I was referring to either national rarities or scarce species that have only occurred within the county on a single or few occasions.

Chris

In terms of fewest county records, please see my best guess as to those species which have occurred between one and three times in Worcestershire (although I haven't checked this in any great detail). Again those recorded at Upton Warren are in bold:

ONE RECORD
Surf Scoter, Squacco Heron, Black Stork, Little Bittern, Black Kite, Red-footed Falcon, White-tailed Eagle, Great Bustard, Baird's Sandpiper, Least Sandpiper, Lesser Yellowlegs, Spotted Sandpiper, Collared Pratincole, Long-tailed Skua, Gull-billed Tern, Whiskered Tern, Caspian Tern, Razorbill, Tengmalm's Owl, Dusky Thrush, Black-throated Thrush, Lesser Grey Shrike, Woodchat Shrike, Barred Warbler, Great Reed Warbler, Aquatic Warbler, Icterine Warbler, Dusky Warbler, Pallas's Warbler, Chough, Two-barred Crossbill, Rustic Bunting

TWO RECORDS
American Wigeon, Green-winged Teal, Lesser Scaup, Ring-necked Duck, Purple Heron, Long-billed Dowitcher, White-rumped Sandpiper, Black-winged Stilt, Wilson's Phalarope, Laughing Gull, Puffin, Pallas's Sandgrouse, Red-rumped Swallow, Richard's Pipit, Serin, Arctic Redpoll, Lapland Bunting, Little Bunting, Pine Bunting

THREE RECORDS
Rough-legged Buzzard, Bluethroat, Rose-coloured Starling

Male Blackcap at the Flashes yesterday along the Hen Brook as per Richard Baker; also Siskin which has been scarce in recent weeks.

No news on the Goosander yet today; the bird has been present 12 days up to yesterday.

The previous record stay for Goosander being continually present on the reserve was two birds which arrived on the 21st November 1998 (in the company of another) and stayed until the 28th November.

The following species assessed by the British Birds Rarities Committee have occurred in Worcestershire; with the number of national records up to the end of 1995 stated afterwards. Those which have occurred at Upton Warren are in bold:

Dusky Thrush - 11
Least Sandpiper - 37
Pine Bunting - 50
Tengmalm's Owl - 57
Black-throated Thrush - 74
Collared Pratincole - 94
Great Bustard - 104
Squacco Heron - 167
Lesser Grey Shrike - 194
Laughing Gull - 200
Whiskered Tern - 213
Wilson's Phalarope - 245
Long-billed Dowitcher - 248
Baird's Sandpiper - 259
Black Stork - 259
Blue-winged Teal - 273
Great Reed Warbler - 279
Caspian Tern - 306
Gull-billed Tern - 357
Lesser Yellowlegs - 362
Two-barred Crossbill - 371
Black-winged Stilt - 499
Little Bittern - 501
Pallas's Sandgrouse - 6,855

Rustic Bunting Phil? 563 up to and including 2017.

Des.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back