• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Strange Chiffchaff behaviour (1 Viewer)

I have noticed that Chiffchaffs behave strangely at the bird feeders around this time of year. At 2 different locations I have seen chiffchaffs sitting near a feeder, and then mobbing birds that leave the feeder, but the chiffchaff won't go on the feeder itself. Is the Chiffchaff trying to make a bird carrying food drop it? or could it be defending a food source, even though it doesn,t appear to be using the feeder itself? Anyone have any theories about what's going on.
Jackie

Hi Jackie. I have observed this behaviour with chifchaffs in my garden too. I can only think they are defending a possible food source,ie insects getting into a feeder. Many warblers are quite aggressive towards other birds in feeding areas. Blackcaps are well known for this kind of behaviour at bird feeders. I watched a chiffchaff systematically remove a few swallows which had perched on wires over my garden in August. Feisty little things!

Si.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back