• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Beige colored Plover ? Portugal Algarve (1 Viewer)

i took pics of one diffrent plover what i thougt to be Grey plovers but one of them looked so beige. se pics. I even send other bird taken at the same place to compair.( last pic)

Attachments

• beige pipare (2).jpg
    beige pipare (2).jpg
    260 KB · Views: 137
  • beige pipare långa vingar.jpg
    beige pipare långa vingar.jpg
    327.9 KB · Views: 134
  • beiger pipare.jpg
    beiger pipare.jpg
    229.9 KB · Views: 116
  • 3 feb kustpipare.jpg
    3 feb kustpipare.jpg
    284.9 KB · Views: 132
I dont think that that is the cause of them being beige the where beige see the last pic taken just beside the others then it would have turned out the same. i have after some search found other Grey plovers that looked the same.. but there is noo information anywhere in any books etc that says that they could look so brown beige... i never thougt it was any other speices than grey plover but i looks strange.

but there is noo information anywhere in any books etc that says that they could look so brown beige... i never thougt it was any other speices than grey plover but i looks strange.

in my german edition of the unique svensson/grant/mullarney/zetterström, usually called "collins" field guide it says under juvenile plumage: "....grey-black centers with yellowish fringes and jags, underparts beige...."and further on: "some individuals intensive golden yellow reminding of juvenile golden plover". now this is in juvenile plumage but some yellowish/beige cast often is shown by adult winter birds too.

actually - as a novice, when i saw my first grey plovers, a flock of about 30 ind., i looked at them for more than half an hour and was convinced i had golden plovers in front of me; then got awfully shocked when the whole flock took flight and i saw the white uppertails, strong wing stripes and black axilliaries... - if that comforts you a bit ;)

I dont think that that is the cause of them being beige the where beige see the last pic taken just beside the others then it would have turned out the same. i have after some search found other Grey plovers that looked the same.. but there is noo information anywhere in any books etc that says that they could look so brown beige... i never thougt it was any other speices than grey plover but i looks strange.

I believe it's down to white-balance. I'm guessing the photo was taken in late afternoon to give such a colour cast. It's not so beige when the colour is balanced a bit so that the grass is actually grass-coloured and the bird takes on a grey-plover look.

Attachments

• beige pipare långa vingar.jpg
    beige pipare långa vingar.jpg
    275.9 KB · Views: 56
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back