• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Coatings Issue With Apo-televid 77 (1 Viewer)

Robert86

I bought a apo-televid 77 at an estate sale. It's in so so shape and wasn't treated well. The coatings look to be coming off. The views are still decent through it but I was curious if anyone has had this issue before and what if anything you did. I have a few telescopes and have had to remove old coatings before but that was relatively easy on that particular scope.

Attachments

• IMG_0324.jpg
    IMG_0324.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 349
Hi,

from the picture I'm not sure if it's damaged coatings or some thing else. The pattern looks quite different than the usual rub marks from too much and improper cleaning. Maybe a heavy case of fungus cleaned up but damaged the coatings?

In any case, since re-coating a lens is not economical, I would either have it repaired by Leica (or try to get a replacement objective lens from them or elsewhere if able to do it yourself) or use as is. Trying to remove all of the coating will not necessarily improve the image and might du further damage...

Joachim

Hi,

from the picture I'm not sure if it's damaged coatings or some thing else. The pattern looks quite different than the usual rub marks from too much and improper cleaning. Maybe a heavy case of fungus cleaned up but damaged the coatings?

In any case, since re-coating a lens is not economical, I would either have it repaired by Leica (or try to get a replacement objective lens from them or elsewhere if able to do it yourself) or use as is. Trying to remove all of the coating will not necessarily improve the image and might du further damage...

Joachim
Thanks for the response. It's definitely not from improper cleaning as there are no scratches or sleaks in the objective. When you look closely at the coating in the bad areas it has almost a crinkled/rough appearance and when you look through those areas it's like looking through a light haze. Doing some further research this was a common issue during some years with the apo televid 77. I did contact Leica USA awhile ago but they never got back to me which doesn't speak well for their repair service to me. I know it's a shot in the dark that they would have a replacement objective lens given the age and they are no longer made but was worth a try.

Thanks for the response. It's definitely not from improper cleaning as there are no scratches or sleaks in the objective. When you look closely at the coating in the bad areas it has almost a crinkled/rough appearance and when you look through those areas it's like looking through a light haze.

Yep, that's a coating that's peeling off.

Doing some further research this was a common issue during some years with the apo televid 77.

That affected the objective lens. The glas they used in the objective was pretty soft, and the coating didn't stick to it very well, especially not when the scope was used near the coast with lots of salt in the air. When I heard the first reports of that problem I started using a filter immediately. Never had that problem myself until I sold the Apo-Televid.

Hermann

That affected the objective lens. The glas they used in the objective was pretty soft, and the coating didn't stick to it very well, especially not when the scope was used near the coast with lots of salt in the air. When I heard the first reports of that problem I started using a filter immediately. Never had that problem myself until I sold the Apo-Televid.

Ouch, this sounds nasty... I hope the OP is able to at least get an answer from Leica service... fixing it free of charge would be a brilliant way to brighten their service reputation...

Joachim

Feel for you Robert - Leica are pieces of sh*t when it comes to sorting out problems with their lenses. They said the same for my objectove lens when it was a known fault on the earlier models....I haven't done anything with it as it doesn't affect the view. But when the eyepiece began to peel it was very noticeable and Leica were their usual crap selves so I just bought another eyepiece. Would NEVER buy anything from Leica again.....they are either completely clueless or (more likely) don't give a sh*t. Swarovski all the way for me now...they know the value of customer care.

Hi,

ouch, sorry to hear that - Leica service at its best once again...

If the view is still ok, just use it.

Joachim

This was a huge issue with Irish birders who bought the earlier models of Leica APO Televid 77, the seawatching weather here stripped the lense coatings in no time and rendered the Scope as useful as looking through a fuzzy milk bottle. Apparently it was resolved in later models but it put off plenty of people ever touching Leica Scopes again

Hi,
Indeed, there is several type of peeling. I remember one on a 62 where the view was really affected where the coating was missing.
I tried many solvants and method to remove the remaining coating... in vain. So any information/experience will be welcome!
Clear that Leica is does not have the best Customer service (a shame for such costly equipment). and it is affecting the brand (like in a restaurant. we never badly remember a meal at high price, as far as the quality is there but we always remember a bad meal, whatever the price paid.
Regards
Yves

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back