• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2018 (3 Viewers)

A great day with a Bob and Clive at s’Albufera. Less birds than hoped for but enough to keep us happy.
Glossy Ibis, Spotted Redshank, Temminck’s stint, Wood sandpiper and good numbers of Ruff.
I heard a singing Nightingale at the depuradora this morning and four Sparrowhawks went through the north today.
Another Sub-Alpine Warbler was seen at La Gola and bizarrely, a Bee-eater was reported.
I met the locals at Maristany on the way home and two Lesser Black-backed gulls were stilll there, also a Purple Heron.
Mike

A purple heron at la Gola this morning and at Boquer Valley several booted eagles and also two Balearic warblers seen.

A nice way to finish the week

A purple heron at la Gola this morning and at Boquer Valley several booted eagles and also two Balearic warblers seen.

A nice way to finish the week

I didn’t have enough time to get to Albercutx today but they seem to have had a good day with some migrant raptors including about 12 Marsh Harrier, Black Kite and a migrant Kestrel.
I did get to Salobrar briefly. Two Whiskered terns were there and what I thought were Gull-billed terns but from the photo I got, they may well be second calendar year Whiskered terns. The trouble with having to get photos of birds to have the record accepted is that I spend all the time trying to get my weedy bridge camera to focus and get no time to look at the birds properly. I then have to sift through all the rubbish images to find out what they were. The best example is when I found an Egyptian Vulture at Salobrar, a very rare sighting for that site. My friend Phil enjoyed great views of this magnificent raptor whilst I didn’t see it. I just got 83 photos of blue sky.
Mike

Thanks for that bluechaffinch, very interesting, I know Miguel will be happy.

Some movement through the Albercutx tower today with Marsh Harrier and good numbers of Black Kite.
I went to the Cap in the south. Nothing much except mixed shearwaters going east, quite close which was nice.
Mike

La Gola Birdlist

Hello!
Here you have the updated birdlist of la Gola park
https://www.ctolagola.com/birdlist-listado-de-aves-llistat-d-aus/

This morning and midday there still was at least one Subalpine warbler. Most of the times I have seen it is in the tamarisks beside the Bird Centre or in the bushes in front of the big tamarisk, before the first bridge. But very very shy.

Also this morning some birdwatchers have seen 2 or 3 Nightherons roosting in the reed in Gommar stream.

In the Albercutx Tower good views of Black Kites by GORA .

Regards,
Cristina.

Greetings to all birders in or going to Mallorca- for the first time in 16 years I will not be there this Easter . I am missing Mallorca terribly already, but best wishes to you all- Hola to Cristina (and little Cristina) and I hope someone gets out at night in PP to track down the Scops Owls- and I always felt safer walking round at night in PP than in most places in England. Have a good time and enjoy Mallorca while you can- Hugh Matthews in wet Northampton

Hello Hugh!
Last week some friends were asking for you.
We will miss you too this Eastern.
And unfortunately I haven't any news of Scops Owls.
Enjoy your time there and hope see you soon.
Regards,
Cristina.

Majorca march 2018

just managed to sort out a few shots from the salbufera and 1 from son real.
Steve.

Attachments

• DSCN8410 (729x1024).jpg
    DSCN8410 (729x1024).jpg
    345.5 KB · Views: 84
  • DSCN8415 (1024x731).jpg
    DSCN8415 (1024x731).jpg
    323.7 KB · Views: 88
  • DSCN8432 (1024x730).jpg
    DSCN8432 (1024x730).jpg
    368.9 KB · Views: 44
  • DSCN8445 (1024x733).jpg
    DSCN8445 (1024x733).jpg
    396.4 KB · Views: 65
And 2 from son real, the S. E. Owl and Avocets Salbufera both rung.
Steve.

Attachments

• DSCN8454 (1024x733).jpg
    DSCN8454 (1024x733).jpg
    316.7 KB · Views: 73
  • DSCN8468 (1024x732).jpg
    DSCN8468 (1024x732).jpg
    327.6 KB · Views: 61
  • DSCN8531 (730x1024).jpg
    DSCN8531 (730x1024).jpg
    311.6 KB · Views: 54
  • DSCN8695 (1024x733).jpg
    DSCN8695 (1024x733).jpg
    390.3 KB · Views: 47
And 2 from son real, the S. E. Owl and Avocets Salbufera both rung.
Steve.

Hi Steve. The bird in the second photo was ringed on the 11/06/2016 at Salobrar de Campos. Seen 3 times since during 2017. Yours is the first sighting this year. All sightings from s'Albufera. As for the first bird, the ring is most probably Italian. An information request has been sent, so I'll post the reply once we get it :t:

Many thanks for posting ;)

Cheers
Steve

Last edited:
Is it possible to get into S'Albufera out of normal opening hours does anyone know?

It should be possible.

When you first go to s'Albufera, report to reception to pick up your day permit and ask there for an out of hours permit, or extended hours permit.

Martin

Thanks Martin. I get an out-of-hours permit every year but you need to take your passport. I haven’t got one yet this year but I assume the same system is in place. Mike

Thanks Steve for the information on ringing. It’s really interesting stuff to know where birds have come from. I often see birds with rings so if I post them here is that ok, or shall I send details somewhere else?
Thanks, Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back