• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sightron SIIBL832 8x32 or Bushnell Engage 8x42 for first binoculars (1 Viewer)

18000bph

As the title says, which do you think would be the better option to gift a family member that is an avid birder but does not own modern binoculars? I am also considering any other suggestions you may have in the $200ish range.

Must be 8x and must have a tight min IPD--I am guessing just under the standard 56mm would be best.

I am leaning toward the Sightron based on reviews, but the Engage seems like a fantastic deal right now.

I can recommend them both! The 8x42's will be brighter though. Might want to consider how much light the person will have to work with. I love my 8x32 Sighton's but the view through my 10x42 Engage was outstanding as well. Tough choice!

I went with the Bushnell. $140 after rebate was just too good to pass up. Hopefully they arrive without defect otherwise I'll send them back and get the Sightron.

If the Bushnell impress I might just have to pick up a pair of 10x50 for me before the rebate offer expires.

Great choice. I don’t think anything comes close to the Engage for the price, even without the rebate. I see Amazon has only one 8x42 left and has raised the price to $239 pre rebate. I bought the 10x42s and the build quality was the best I’ve seen in a MIC bino. My only advice to you would be this: if they have any problem when you receive them, send them back to Bushnell for repair or replacement. You’ll never find a high quality ED glass, dielectric prism, lightweight bino with great optics and build quality for that price.

The 8x42 Engage came in. Of course I had to selflessly try them out to make sure the gift was of acceptable quality. I've only been able to use them in darkness the last couple of nights, but I'm impressed.

The recipient doesn't have much experience with modern binoculars and she was blown away by the performance of my Kowa set recently. I am confident the Engage offer a similarly impressive view to the uninitiated.

Thanks for the reassurance!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back