• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dream Bino... or Most Beautiful Set.....What's Your Pick? (1 Viewer)

MUHerd

Hey all,

I am a REAL Newbie when it comes to binos. I don't have much experience with binos that cost over $400. I think I might've looked thru several sets of high end binos at a hunt show I went to about 10 years ago.
That being said, I still like to go and check out sites that have pics and info on the Rolls Royce brands and models just to see what I'm missing out on.

I just checked out a set of binos that I think has taken the top prize as far as desirability. Not only are they incredibly spec'd out, but they are also just flat out gorgeous. I don't know if I've seen a set that's a pretty as these are.

I'm talking about the LEICA ULTRAVID SILVERLINE 10X42. Here they are in case you have never seen them.
http://en.leica-camera.com/Sport-Optics/Leica-Birding/Binoculars/Leica-Ultravid-Silverline/Range

So..what would you say is your absolute DREAM set of binos? If you already have them, it's totally great and congrats to you. If you have pics of them, how about showing them off?
What do you think is the best looking set of binos that you've seen in your years of shopping around and looking at all kinds of binos every year? Please post a pic of those too, so we all can enjoy seeing them.

Thanks all and I look forward to what tastes you all have in Binos.

Have a good weekend.
MUHerd

Leica

These are some oldies but goodies, and they still provide great views today.

Andy W.

Attachments

• BA8X42_10X50 (640x398).jpg
    BA8X42_10X50 (640x398).jpg
    220.4 KB · Views: 106
Try their siblings, the Leica Ultravid Blackline. More dignified and less garish than the Silverlines!

http://us.leica-camera.com/Sport-Optics-Old-2/Leica-Birding/Binoculars/Leica-Ultravid-Blackline

Same binocular as the Silverline but wearing a tuxedo!:king:

I have one.

Bob

Same here (well, it's an Ultravid BL). Technically it may not be the equal of my EL SV 8.5x42, but the leather wrapping is much more pleasant to the touch and it is comparatively tiny. It's worth noting Swarovski's released a limited edition with leather covering, the CL Companion Nomad, albeit at a completely outrageous price.

Also I wholly agree with the garishness of the Silverline.

Last edited:
The ultravid BL is real handsome looking, but the silverline is just too blingy for me. I haven't seen either in person though.

Attractive binos to me are Swaro SV 32, Swaro habicht porros, Minox HG, Leica Ultravid, and I like the look of the new Nikon Monarch HG. The GPO binoculars look real nice too.

I wish Leica would make a 7x35 Ultravid+ and Zeiss a 7x32 FL. Those are my dream binos.

Oh yeah the Leica classic Trinovid looks real pretty too (if they make those available).

Hi,

I like a quote attributed to a certain Mr Fraunhofer - "My instruments are for looking through and not for looking at!"

Regarding dream bins - does it need to be for birding?

If yes, my SE 10x42 and the E2 8x30 are quite close... I would like both to have twist up eyecups and the E2 more eye relief (might need it in a few years) and of course both waterproof.

If all binos qualify - what about a bino dobsonian - say 12 to 14" or so so it still fits my car?

Joachim

I appreciate a fine looking instrument, but I would say that binoculars should be appreciated for the view that they deliver, as well as for their handling characteristics and durability, before consideration is given to their physical appearance. On these bases, I am a fan of the Zeiss 7x42 BGATP, the Zeiss 8x25 Victory Pocket, and the Swarovski 8x32 and 8.5x42 EL series.

--AP

Last edited:
Try their siblings, the Leica Ultravid Blackline. More dignified and less garish than the Silverlines!

http://us.leica-camera.com/Sport-Optics-Old-2/Leica-Birding/Binoculars/Leica-Ultravid-Blackline

Same binocular as the Silverline but wearing a tuxedo!:king:

I have one.

Bob

One think I forgot to mention is that the Ultravid Blacklines and Silverlines still use the original coatings that the Ultravids came out with when they were introduced.

If you simply must have the most up to date coatings on your new Leica Ultravid you probably will not be happy with these binoculars.:-C

For many people they will be perfectly fine birding binoculars. :king:

Bob

Those that don't care what a binocular looks like do not have the affliction...where one sets out a binocular specifically so that it can be viewed, or where one handles / fondles a particular model while watching TV etc.

I well remember acquiring my 1st alpha - B&L Elite - and reveling in its' slim and attractive form. In fact, I made sure this bin sat in full view at home or when driving to a birding site. This continued for months and, even 20 years later, I still find the shape and form of that bino to be alluring.

Maybe be glad you don't have this affliction as its definitely cheaper than becoming a collector of too many binos...:)

James I have always wanted to ask you about your avatar, it is sort of funny but also nerve racking (that croc is kind of close).

Andy W.

Hello,

My dream binocular for birdwatching, but not for binocular watching, is the Zeiss 8x32FL. It does the job optically and mechanically. Yes, there are times when a 10x might be more useful, but the higher magnification has its own problems.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood

James I have always wanted to ask you about your avatar, it is sort of funny but also nerve racking (that croc is kind of close).

Andy W.

It was a croc. watching trip along the Tarcoles River in Costa Rica. The big ones are so used to being feed by the guides that they allow them [the guides] to climb up on their backs. The croc in the picture was 14 feet, I believe but we did see an 18 footer later.

Last edited:
It was a croc. watching trip along the Tarcoles River in Costa Rica. The big ones are so used to being feed by the guides that they allow them [the guides] to climb up on their backs. The croc in the picture was 14 feet, I believe but we did see an 18 footer later.

On a visit to Victoria Falls in Zimbabwe we went on a boat on the River Zambesi and visited a small island in the middle of the river. On the opposite bank of the river there were some crocs loafing on the mud. As soon as we made ourselves visible on a small eminence on the island, the biggest of the crocs launched into the river and swam across to our island and then settled in the current between the island and the nearest bank. Our guide said that the croc knew it was not normal for us to be on the island and that we would need to make our way back to the main shore and it was hoping one of us would end up in the river. Sure enough as our boat pulled away from the island the croc followed us until our guide gunned the throttle and we pulled away.

Lee

lol, nice.....and talk about dragging a thread off-topic....like a croc dragging a Wildebeest into a raging river.

Apologies to the thread-starter.

"Those that don't care what a binocular looks like do not have the affliction.."
I enjoy looking at and studying my collected binoculars as much as using them and, believe me, I enjoy using them.

Attachments

• DSC00665 (640x273).jpg
    DSC00665 (640x273).jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 147
  • DSC00667 (447x640).jpg
    DSC00667 (447x640).jpg
    259.7 KB · Views: 169
  • DSC00669 (390x640).jpg
    DSC00669 (390x640).jpg
    239.8 KB · Views: 93
I'm with Arthur on the FL 8x32....but i've often wondered about the aesthetics of binoculars and if there is any difference between how the scientist and the artist regard them. There are obviously some who don't give a hoot what they look like if they do the job well.
Some bins - good though they are - just don't attract me - fit, feel, design etc. Others i wish i could like more optically because they look so great...
The FL does both - thankfully.
I'm also a big fan on both counts of the Nikon 8x30 EII. Obviously a fan of the stubby binocular.....

Hello Paddy,

Yes, the 8x32 FL has clean lines with form following function. I think it was the Nikon Edge I, which I thought was truly ugly. I loved looking through the Nikon 8x30 EII but I thought it was too delicate for my clumsy ways.

There are some who love the looks of the original Leitz Trinovids, but optically they do not match contemporary Porro binoculars.

I rather liked the looks of the Zeiss 8x30 Classic but the FL is a better glass.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :hi:

Attachments

• Dialyt.jpg
    Dialyt.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 74
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back