• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

tenerife (1 Viewer)

dicky

Hi All,
I am going to Tenerife at the end of February, has anyone had any experience of this island & can give me a few pointers. I am looking for viewing areas & types of birds really, I've had a quick look on the net, but its too general & some of it vague, this is the best place for info. Any ideas?

Dicky

Alright mate

I was in Tenerife a few years ago, I went in August so the info might not be applicable in February, but for reference I can give you some ideas. One thing about Tenerife is that there's not a great deal of species but the ones that are there are quite good. One place to make sure you visit is the Las Lajas car park which I believe (if I remember properly) is to the south of Mt. Teide. This is very good for Blue Chaffinch, they were hopping around in the car park as I drove in, also Canary and Berthelots Pipit were a cinch here. There was G.S. woodpecker of whatever obscure race people claim it as. Plain swifts were very noticeable over most areas although I'm not sure what the winter movements of these are, similarly with seawatching, I don't really know what the winter situation is. You should get plenty of Yellow Legged Gulls on the beaches though. I did'nt go for the two pigeon species but from what I heard about them, you will need a 4 x 4 to get up the track to see them. And lastly, I know that most winters (have'nt heard about this year) there are Red-Throated Pipits at the Golf course (Amarilla I think it is) on the south of the Island.

Hope this helps

Regards
Chris

I've been to Tenerife in late Feb.

Get yourself WTWB in Tenerife by Eduardo Garcia del Rey. Superb little book that has all you need to know (including maps, photos and ID).

Pigeons: had quite a few Bolle's at Monte del Agua (NW of island), but it took a couple of trips to get good views. I didn't find them too elusive, but it is often misty. Best place was from a side track off the main path to your right as you reach the crest ridge of the bowl-shaped valley, but anywhere with a view will do. You will most likely get the Kinglet and the Robin (race superbus – and it deserves its name) there, too, and the African Chaffinch is in the fields at the bottom of the valley. Unless you have mobility issues, 4x4 not required as it is a pleasant walk from the main road with good birding en route. For White-tailed Pigeon take a day trip to La Gomera, ask a taxi to take you somewhere scenic with laurel forest and wait somewhere with a vista. Different race of Blue Tit in smae places.

Rest of endemics: Las Lajas, as Chris says, which also has the Blue Tit.

Seabirds: saw only Cory's.

Have fun

John

dicky said:
Hi All,
I am going to Tenerife at the end of February, has anyone had any experience of this island & can give me a few pointers. I am looking for viewing areas & types of birds really, I've had a quick look on the net, but its too general & some of it vague, this is the best place for info. Any ideas?

Dicky

I am going to Tenerife with the family on 03/03/06 and have managed to wangle
one full days birding. I have a hire car.

I have bought the book Where to watch birds in Tenerife by Eduardo del Rey.

I want to see Blue Chaffinch but the book says 4x4 required.

I see an earlier poster says you can walk. How long does it take to reach the area where Blue Chaff are.

Kendon said:

I see an earlier poster says you can walk. How long does it take to reach the area where Blue Chaff are.[/QUOTE

Hi Kendon

The Las Lajas cafe/car park certainly did not need a 4 X 4, I hired a Fiat Cinquecento and this was perfectly adequate, in fact I found most of the roads around there to be quite decent. I don't know how easy Blue Chaffinch is at this time of year but in August I found them to be about as easy as it's possible to get, they were literally hopping around on the ground as I pulled into the car park. They were giving their (very distinctive) call and were quite approachable. I'd be very surprised if you don't score with the species at this site.
Regards
Chris

P.s. The Las Lajas site should be found quite easily on Tenerife maps, it's on the southern side of the island. probably mid-way between Mt Teide and the coast.

chris murphy said:
Kendon said:

I see an earlier poster says you can walk. How long does it take to reach the area where Blue Chaff are.[/QUOTE

Hi Kendon

The Las Lajas cafe/car park certainly did not need a 4 X 4, I hired a Fiat Cinquecento and this was perfectly adequate, in fact I found most of the roads around there to be quite decent. I don't know how easy Blue Chaffinch is at this time of year but in August I found them to be about as easy as it's possible to get, they were literally hopping around on the ground as I pulled into the car park. They were giving their (very distinctive) call and were quite approachable. I'd be very surprised if you don't score with the species at this site.
Regards
Chris

P.s. The Las Lajas site should be found quite easily on Tenerife maps, it's on the southern side of the island. probably mid-way between Mt Teide and the coast.

Thanks Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back