• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding Newbie (1 Viewer)

Hi there!

I have only recently moved to a property with a garden and want to get encourage all sorts of wildlife to come in, including birds. I have planted lots of nice hedges and there is already a couple of trees would hopefully will make them feel safe I just want to start leaving some food about the place. Does anyone have any recommendations on where to buy these things and what to get if you are just starting out?

I found this company www.brinvale.com online who look like they have got good reviews, but wanted to know if anybody knew them or had anyone else they would recommend?

many thanks, George

I've never seen this company because I'm in the USA, but they do have a lot of great products like most other online bird shops.

I use the Squirrel Buster line of feeders in my yard. I've used a lot of different types, and these are the ones I have now, and they work really great.

https://www.brinvale.com/products/squirrel-buster-mini.html

I have 2 of the Mini's.

https://www.brinvale.com/products/squirrel-buster-peanut.html

One of the Peanut Plus feeders.

https://www.brinvale.com/products/squirrel-buster-plus.html

And I recently just purchased the big Plus model. If I were just starting out, I'd get one of the Mini's and go with that until you see what shows up. I also use squirrel proof suet feeders, and a DIY ground tray feeder, which is basically an old metal pan I drilled holes in the bottom of for drainage. I throw cheap bird seed and old suet chunks in there. The best thing you can do is provide a wide variety of foods to draw the biggest variety of birds to your yard |:d|

Black-oil Sunflower is your best choice. Most birds that come to feeders like it and it is easily available. Suet is good as a second feed with nyger as a third choice. You can get the special feeders for those quite easily. Pick feeders that keep the seed dry as possible or with really good drainage and with openings and perches that are easy for the birds to use. If you are concerned about squirrels then put your feeders on a shepherds crook that is about 2 m from anything that the squirrel can jump from and attach a cone style baffle. I've tried just about every type of squirrel proof feeder and found that eventually the squirrels figure out how to get access. There is usually a lot of fill in cheap seed mixes so you pay for material that the birds don't eat.
Add a birdbath. Have fun with your garden and birds.

Any half decent garden centre will have a selection of feeders and food types. Often it is simply a process of trial and error to see which foods the local birds prefer but is is always good to provide a selection. Personally I have general mixed seed, sunflower hearts and suet pellets on offer and attract a good variety of species.

One tip, when choosing feeders. I use the cage type to keep the squirrels out otherwise they will empty the thing in no time at all.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back