• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

teleconverters (1 Viewer)

hummerfan

I have the Olympus Camedia C-730 and need a teleconverter that can be handheld. Does anyone have any ideas on this? Also, if I need an adapter or step up ring can someone tell me what size I should get?

Thanks,
Hummerfan

I must admit that I like Olympus digital cameras and Olympus make several excellent teleconverters.

I have experimented with quite a few different ones along with friends from around the World. Personally I've tried the Olympus C180, C210, A200, Tcon14 and B300, but everyone agrees there are only two really good ones optically.

Firstly there's the 1.45x Tcon14 a useful little lens of solid construction and quite compact.

To my mind it is only surpassed by the 1.7x Olympus B300 now replaced by the 1.7x Tcon17 which from what I've seen is just as good optically and quite a bit cheaper.

There is no light loss at all and in fact the B300 used alone actually seems to enhannce the shots. It's a big lens and I suspect it may have something to do with it's light gathering abilitiy.

I have the Olympus C2100UZ a predecessor of the C730. I get pretty good results from combining the Tcon14 with the B300 to give pretty decent results of even small birds at up to around 30 yards. As the front of the Tcon14 has no lens thread, this requires gluing a filter mount to the front of it into which the B300/Tcon17 can be screwed.

A tip, if after a Tcon14 check out eBay. I picked one up for just £14 a while back.

The A200 is an alternative choice which happens to have a 49mm thread, but I prefer the two lenses above optically. Other people may have different opinions as I know the A200 has quite a few followers too.

CLA-4

I found a site that is selling the T-Con 1.7x for I think $113. I wrote to the guy on the site and he said all you would need is the CLA-4 adapter. Does that seem right to you?

Yes the CLA-4 is the corrrect adapter to use. Apart from being a step up ring, it acts like lens armour around the moving zoom portion and provides a stable mount for the teleconverter lenses. The Tcon 17 screws right into it.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back