• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Telephoto Lens for Olympus D-500L? (1 Viewer)

gthang

Ford Focus Fanatic: mmmmmm... 3.1415926535.....
I have a hand-me-down 1997 year Olympus D-500L.

Since it's such an old digital camera, i have to deal with the poor quality (850K pixels), and crappy zooming (up to 100%, or 1in:1in). I have a wide-angle lens, but that doesn't help with birding. I sincerely hope there's a few telephoto lenses out there that screw onto the Olympus camera.

I've tried searching the olympus website, but so far, nothing has shown up.

If i had a job, i could be saving my money for a new camera, but they extremely expensive, and all i ever think about it tricking out my Ford Focus... lol!

Anyway, if you guys could point me in the right direction, i'd really appreciate it.

Thanks guys! and gals!

D500l

gthang said:
I have a hand-me-down 1997 year Olympus D-500L.

Since it's such an old digital camera, i have to deal with the poor quality (850K pixels), and crappy zooming (up to 100%, or 1in:1in). I have a wide-angle lens, but that doesn't help with birding. I sincerely hope there's a few telephoto lenses out there that screw onto the Olympus camera.

I've tried searching the olympus website, but so far, nothing has shown up.

If i had a job, i could be saving my money for a new camera, but they extremely expensive, and all i ever think about it tricking out my Ford Focus... lol!

Anyway, if you guys could point me in the right direction, i'd really appreciate it.

Thanks guys! and gals!
First off, it is not that bad of a camera. It is a D series, the mid grade for Olympus, it may be a bit out of date, but so is My C2500L, and I love it.
I checked, the D500 has 43mm accessory threads, You can use the same lenses I use, got them from panweb1 on ebay. No, they don't have a big name on them, but they work fine. I use the same lenses and filters on My C4000 Z as well.
The biggest part of success is in learning the habits and habitats of the birds, learning to stalk and blend in. Lenses are only partly a substitute for getting close. Observe the way most people move, it is probably the way You move, and it won't get You close. Watch a cat, they are the experts. If You are worried about MP size, check out my posts from the C2500L and C4000, 2.5 and 4.0 MP. I think they do reasonably well.
I am a much better stalker than photographer. I've been hunting most of My life, only seriously into photography a short time. You can learn both at the same time, however. All depends on how much you want to learn. All I've done is hang up My rifles and My bow, and pick up My cameras.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/D500/D500A.HTM

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back