• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Insects in Art & Illustration (1 Viewer)

Just to add that traditional Chinese "Bird and Flower" paintings sometimes feature insects quite prominently (the category being more like "items in nature" rather than meaning that the subjects are only birds and/or flowers) A few examples here and here.

Seems like I remember an earlier discussion of this in the Art Forum, but can't remember where... Anyway, lots of interesting insects on this thread so far, and many others in the forum that haven't been posted here yet.

Thanks for everyone's contributions: I'm enjoying them immensely. I will get round to replying to everyone individually. I'm having to implement a decent filing system so that I can keep a record of everyone and their work. It's not easy with pictures.

I did this warm up sheet of red admirals yesterday before the sun went in. I call it drawing without fear of failure: there's nothing to loose, it's just a warm up. As I need to demonstrate how images progress from sketches to 'finished' sketches or finished work back in the studio. The next sheet will be in earnest, but the attempt will be to keep the lack of fear. But I quite liked this sheet for its abstract qualities.

I've got a mercury vapour kit coming in the post, so that I can set up a skinner trap - very excited about drawing moths now. I'm going to set up a white sheet as well as leaving the trap out all night.

Andrew

Attachments

• Red_Admiral272.jpg
    Red_Admiral272.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Ooh I like that!

David measures works in a similar way I think. Have to say my favourite insect artist is Richard Tratt, his work always seems to have the heat and atmosphere of summer. http://www.swla.co.uk/SWLAmembers/trattr/TrattR.htm

Mike

that's a really exciting sheet of sketches

while we are on faves, I am a great fan of Dan Powell's dragonflies for combining accuracy and spontaneity into the same image- except that when published the colours never seem that zingy

some insect pics gathered here I might add

http://www.thelandgallery.com/secondryhomepage/secondaryhomepage/insects_in_art.html

Just to add that traditional Chinese "Bird and Flower" paintings sometimes feature insects quite prominently (the category being more like "items in nature" rather than meaning that the subjects are only birds and/or flowers) A few examples here and here.

Seems like I remember an earlier discussion of this in the Art Forum, but can't remember where... Anyway, lots of interesting insects on this thread so far, and many others in the forum that haven't been posted here yet.

Particularly like that second example Gretchen.

absolutely beautiful artwork on this thread. I would love to see more insect paintings and drawings on this forum.
Finished this today- Common darter dragonfly.
DRAGSMALLER.jpg
not sure if this is of any use to you!

Thanks everyone for your replies - I'm thrilled to see such good insect art being produced. I'm following all the links provided and have/will be contacting some of the artists concerned.

Ed thanks for the caddis fly jewell work - One of those ideas that I wish I'd had 20 years ago when I was studying Fine Art, but it'll possibly be difficult to build upon. It's not the same as developing drawing skills, which will serve an artist well till the day they die.

Thanks for the darter Nature_lover, do you have anymore to show us?

One of my stick insect nymphs - pencil on paper.

Andrew

ps. I had a terrible shock yesterday. Our one year old whippet had got hold of my stick insect eggs in a revenge attack (we'd left him in whilst we went out!), and scattered them all over the floor. He'd even enjoyed crunching a few up. Lost a couple of the leaf insect eggs too.

Attachments

• Stick_Insect.png
    Stick_Insect.png
    36.1 KB · Views: 50
that scene must be worth a drawing in its own right (but commiserations!)

ha ha, it was upsetting. He even had hold of my big wash brush that I've had since about 1989. Luckily he'd only given it a bit of a chew.

btw. Would anyone be able to introduce me to Daniel Otte - having trouble finding a contact email. I may have to actually write a letter to him, something I've almost lost the ability to do.

btw. Would anyone be able to introduce me to Daniel Otte - having trouble finding a contact email. I may have to actually write a letter to him, something I've almost lost the ability to do.

Andrew,

I've never met Dan. But since I'm a local I did email the HR department at Academy of Natural Sciences here with your request. I've asked them to either contact me or you at your web site. No guarantee of course.

Ken

Just caught up with this, so here are a few b/w bits exhumed from the drawers...

Mike

www.michaelcwood.co.uk

Attachments

• mc wood c amix100.jpg
    mc wood c amix100.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 41
  • mc wood c dhhawkm.jpg
    mc wood c dhhawkm.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 40
  • mc wood c hawkm.jpg
    mc wood c hawkm.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 48
  • mc wood c lesemp.jpg
    mc wood c lesemp.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 36
...and a few coloured offerings. The big composite was a base image for Wicken Fen, before I added all the the digital logos & notes.

Mike

www.michaelcwood.co.uk

Attachments

• mc wood c pancruc.jpg
    mc wood c pancruc.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 43
  • mc wood c tortoiseshell.jpg
    mc wood c tortoiseshell.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 44
  • mc wood c wicken fen.jpg
    mc wood c wicken fen.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 47
  • mcwood c oedipoda_germanica.jpg
    mcwood c oedipoda_germanica.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 41
  • mcwood c roeselsbcricket.jpg
    mcwood c roeselsbcricket.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 38
All quiet in the bug department, but here's one more anyway - a line drawing from years ago for a biodiversity exhibit in Mallorca, the old thing where the size of each organism is proportional to the total number of species of that group in the world...

www.michaelcwood.co.uk

Attachments

• mc wood biodiv mallorca.jpg
    mc wood biodiv mallorca.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 35
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back