• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kestrels from my studio window.Life studies (1 Viewer)

Last juvenile seen

Thanks a lot ...glad you enjoyed the visit..i wish i had the models to keep working on sketches,but a week ago the last of the young kestrels went away,and the adults are also on vacation.This is the last note i was able to make ..a distant fledger ready to move on to new territory.....i am in the process of moving ,but i might keep this studio long enough to see the adult female return in the fall..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    269.6 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
..i thought the birds were all gone ,but shortly after posting the last comment ,an adult female showed in the ledge and stayed for a while ..i made some videos via digiscoping and started sketching a bit,but she moved away shortly after i started...still managed to do some lines ..hopefully she will be back...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    497.2 KB · Views: 64
Some excellent drawings and paintings mayoayo. I'm still very much a beginner and not yet ready to start applying anything like water colour. I just sketch with different grades of pencil and maybe add Pitt Pastel or Polychronous coloured pencil to highlight an eye or bill. I need to do more.
I see that in your last sketch that less works too. I like the way you draw more than one aspect into the same picture, it gives the whole thing fluidity and more scope for when you decide which aspect to paint when you decide if you want to add colour. Your use of colour is very subtle too.
Thank you for posting these images, I have learned a lot from them.

this one really catches my eye- great stuff!

Well I'll piggyback on Ed's comment here to say what a great collection of recent work. It's nice to see how far you've come with field sketching and watercolor!

I have no idea why I happened to check the forum today, after being absent for many, many months. But this was a nice surprise.

Hope you'll be able to continue with this solid collection!

Andy...thanks a lot for the kind comments..Its a great feeling to know that these notes are helping other member to learn something about their own work..For me this forum has been a great way to learn about nature art too.,all through the works and comments of the great people,and fantastic artists that visit these threads..
Ken...nice to hear from you !...i was wondering about Your whereabouts... I thought a lot about the concept of the abstract bird,believe it or not,and wanted to share some of my efforts in that direction with you at some point...well..maybe i use this same thread to do so...

Rainy day

Managed to do a couple of sketches early morning..these days both male and female are back in the tower,but they only stand in my view really early in the morning and late afternoon...the adult female was gone for a few weeks after her little ones started flying around.She came back when they all had left the nest..maybe was a way to force them to look for their own place....when she arrived back she looked like a different bird,.Soooo faded and worn..i started a few notes of the famale ,as she really looks interesting,but havent been able to get good views..anyway..this one is of the male...low light early morning,not a lot of contrast in the view..specially because they are far and im working at 60x

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    208.6 KB · Views: 46
Busy morning

Well...not too boring today afterall..Both birds were present most of the most of the morning,flying back and forth,and enjoying their brunch ..I managed to start a number of notes but so far these two are of my liking...I wish i would have worked the markings on the female's back a bit more,but she was busy..
Thanks for stopping by and see you soon

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 43
Ink

i did try my luck with pen and ink..I enjoyed using my old Rotring Art pen again...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    203.3 KB · Views: 49
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back