• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Creative Bird Photography (1 Viewer)

Mackem George

Trying to obtain images with a more creative appeal,taken at the WILDFOWL WETLANDS TRUST at Washington Tyne Wear.
Any thought anyone ?
GEORGE.

Last edited:
Thought I should add that I have NO photography skills and am just a birder with a camera! I would take my comment as an 'opinion' rather than 'advice' on that basis, especially as others with far greater expertise may come on here and suggest the complete opposite! I think once you've mastered exposure, depth of field basic sharpness and post processing then its possible to consider more interesting framing and perspective, ideally to come up with something different - although £15k+ worth of camera and lens certainly helps if you can afford it ( not me I hasten to add).
Good luck
Russ

In general you should also try to get a catchlights in the eyes. If one can't see details in the eye (iris etc., and even then a catchlight works wonder) this will add life to the eye rather than having just two dead dark lumps of coal.

If your goal is to take photographs that serve for more than reference or ID I would also recommend to look into image composition. Rule of thirds is one to start with, others like providing space for the subject in direction of movement or viewing is another basic one. Subjects centered in the frame rarely work.

For me it would would work better if you stopped down to around f8,then shot from the side rather than the front.Get right down on your belly if needed.

Cheers.

Steve.

I maintain a photo life list. When I come upon a new bird, the first priority for me is to get an image. These vary in quality depending on the circumstances i.e.weather, lighting, patience of the bird (and the photographer), the background, etc. I will often take an insurance shot at distance just to be sure I have at least one image. Sometimes that is the only one I manage to get.

Once that is out of the way I try for two types of shots. 1) close up of the bird showing detail and colour 2) environment and setting type pictures where the bird makes up a smaller proportion of the frame.

Once I have a good quality record shot, I look for upgrades to the shot. If I have a good quality record shot, I discard all poorly focused, badly exposed, poorly composed, photos with distracting elements etc. As another poster mentioned a catch light is essential as is having the eye in focus. Also as he mentioned, leaving space for the bird to move into or to look to is good. It the bird has long legs, don't cut off the legs even though they are hidden in the grass or in the water. If the eye isn't in focus I discard the image.

Perhaps the most important aspect is to visualize the image before you take the picture. Exercise patience before pressing the shutter. Wait for the head to be turned the right way, see if there are distracting elements in the picture (cropping after the fact can sometimes fix this), try for an interesting background etc. If the lighting is too difficult or the setting is not interesting just pass on the photo and move on. This is easier to do on more common birds in a home patch. A little more difficult with a rare bird or when traveling.

I've attached a couple of examples. There are more in my 2014 add and upgrade list, generally the upgrades will be more "creative" than the adds for the reasons mentioned above.

Paul

2014 adds and upgrades to photo life list http://paultavares.smugmug.com/Wildlife/Birds/AU14/i-vLwsKSB

Attachments

• AA5H1440 Common Merganser, Mergus merganser P1150830.jpg
    AA5H1440 Common Merganser, Mergus merganser P1150830.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 201
  • AT8C060 Red-breasted Nuthatch, Sitta canadensis P1160502.jpg
    AT8C060 Red-breasted Nuthatch, Sitta canadensis P1160502.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 204
  • AC8K210 Great Blue Heron, Ardea herodias P1250018.jpg
    AC8K210 Great Blue Heron, Ardea herodias P1250018.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 169
  • AC8K210 Great Blue Heron, Ardea herodias P1030849.jpg
    AC8K210 Great Blue Heron, Ardea herodias P1030849.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 206
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back