• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Forest Farm (1 Viewer)

marnixR

WYSIWYG
i have a question about the bird list on Forest Farm: does this list include the stretch of the river Taff that borders one side of the nature reserve between the bridge to Radyr railway station and the M4?

because if it does, then there's a few species such as goosanders, cormorants and black-headed gulls missing from the list
on the other hand, if it doesn't then i'm a bit puzzled by the listing of the little grebe which i have observed on the river but never in the nature reserve proper

Last edited:
Hi Marnix,

Thanks for updating this article, but I'm afraid I can't really answer your question.

The original content was started by Thebirdgarden 8 years ago. The sightings on the check list were probably only birds that he, himself, had recorded.

I see the river area is included as part of the habitat there, so there's no reason why the species you have seen shouldn't be included. The lists and articles are constantly evolving, so just go ahead and put your sightings in.

The Check List is for species you're likely to see on a visit, regardless of the time of year. For 1-off sightings of drop-ins, it would be better to put them in the Rarities section.

Notable Species is for birds that are 'special' for the site. Such as being an important wintering/breeding or passage migrants.

one more question about Forest Farm: in the wiki article it claims that bitterns are present (presumably in the reed beds near the hides), but tbh i’ve never seen or heard them - what time of the year / day would be best to spot them?

I've no clue Marnix! That sort of question is really better placed in the Information Wanted forum.

Maybe Rich can help if he knows the site and comes back into the thread. The Forest Farm website doesn't seem to be much help with species, does it?

My understanding is Winter is the best for them. I've heard of photographers getting some great shots of them there. Funnily enough though, I don't recall them being reported there this year - happy to be corrected though. Kenfig Pool might be a better option at the moment.

Rich

funny that - i’ve never encountered anyone who mentioned bitterns being around
as opposed to kingfishers, water rail or snipe which are frequently talked about

funny that - i’ve never encountered anyone who mentioned bitterns being around
as opposed to kingfishers, water rail or snipe which are frequently talked about
Perhaps it's a bad year for them? You're right - it's great for Kingfishers. Also had a Little Bunting there a few years back.

Rich

If you google "Bittern Forest Farm" quite a few images appear. But like I said, perhaps it's not a good year.

The Bittern at Kenfig is being seen from the Eastern hide. Does stay hidden for hours on end though.

Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back