• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Madeira, fairly large pheasant/grouse like bird (1 Viewer)

Seen on a walk, early morning. Size of a small chicken/large pigeon. Assume it's some kind of grouse/pheasant but can't identify more than that! Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20141011_165937.jpg
    IMG_20141011_165937.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 216
Looks like a small domestic chicken/bantam to me.
Was it near any habitation? I guess they could go feral in that sort of environment.

Mick

Thanks for the replies. A chicken huh? Perhaps not as exciting as I was hoping for :) It was sat a fair way from any habitation, and I never expect to see a chicken in a tree, but that's what makes holidays so exciting :p

[...]and I never expect to see a chicken in a tree, but that's what makes holidays so exciting :p
Agree with domestic chicken. All chickens are sleeping above the ground when it´s possible, for security measures. Guess you have pheasants over there, they do the same.
Especially the miniature breeds of the domestic chicken are very good in flying/flyers. That´s the minus when keeping them.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back