• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Your local patch (1 Viewer)

JTweedie

Is your local patch right outside your door? Or do you have to walk a little bit to get to what you regard as your local patch?

Like many people, I've found this year to be really depressing when it comes to getting out to observe nature. I live in a flat, don't have a garden, don't have a car.

I've made a lot of effort to record as many observations I make from my window, but I've decided to visit a new place not that far from me in the hope that it could become my local patch. It's probably about 15-20 minutes to get there, but it's on a bend on the river Clyde with woodland (and more planting to come to continue it's development as an attractive site for wildlife).

Hoping to give the area a try on Saturday for the first time.

Good luck laddie. You'll likely have a great time and get a few surprises along the way.

I don't think there's a real definition of a 'local patch'. It's anywhere that you can get to in your local area on a regular basis, I think.

Cheers Delia. It doesn't appear to be an area that's watched much either, part of it was formerly industrial, so a chance of seeing something unusual that may otherwise go unnoticed.

Good luck with the new patch John. I'm pretty lucky to have a great patch literally on the doorstep (and I still live just a mile from the city centre). It definitely helps a lot with the sort of conditions we've had this year.

Everything within roughly half an hour's bike ride from home; all done on foot or by bike, strictly no cars involved, nor public transport. It's mainly urban, but got a few parks and ponds and a tidal river, but no coast or uplands; patch yearlist so far this year 133 :t:

My local patch is a 10-15 minute walk from my house. I hadn't been for awhile but when we were in lockdown in March I went every Wednesday & Saturday. It was great watching the birds I especially liked it when it was quieter with less people and I could hear and watch the birds in peace but when things opened up again the park got bit noises with people but still had a good time. In August I went Birding in different places locally plus had a lot of wet weather so couldn't manage to go to my patch that often though I have been back recently and loving the autumn colours.

My local patch is a small suburban nature park and a couple of miles of the river Mersey.
10 minute walk away and I spent a huge amount of time there late spring, early summer.
Best bird ever, Firecrest a couple of winters ago.

133!

Everything within roughly half an hour's bike ride from home; all done on foot or by bike, strictly no cars involved, nor public transport. It's mainly urban, but got a few parks and ponds and a tidal river, but no coast or uplands; patch yearlist so far this year 133 :t:

Wow. 133 this year. That is excellent!

Austin. October 30. Nothing until I started to writes this post. Then a blue jay cried out and a titmouse started singing. Then a chickadee belted out a few songs.

It's like they have ESP! When I need to write, they sing.

Austin. October 30. Nothing until I started to writes this post. Then a blue jay cried out and a titmouse started singing. Then a chickadee belted out a few songs.

It's like they have ESP! When I need to write, they sing.

PS. After I posted, about 5 House Sparrows came to the branch near my feeder. They're now taking turns grabbing peanuts.

Mine starts from my back door.

Within a 1km circle it includes modern and old housing estates, gardens, old industrial land and lagoons, scrubby woodland with wet areas, rough grassland, sand dunes, saltmarsh, and a large river estuary with extensive sandy and muddy areas and a large tidal range.

The immediate surrounding area was one of the principle reasons I chose to come and live here. It certainly kept me sane during lockdown.

Favourite bird on my patch this year so far is (Greater) Scaup, though my overall favourite is Common Eider.

My local patch is the area around my house in Bristol to a max distance of less than 2km away. It includes 2 parks, and my route to my son's school and my place of work. The birding's pretty 'desperate', by most people's standards, which makes it more of challenge to find anything vaguely 'interesting'. For example a patch tick in the shape of a Pheasant caused me to whoop with excitement last week. I've not managed to find anything 'better' than a Yellow-browed Warbler, but there was a Myrtle Warbler here once (I missed it).

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back