• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Steller's Jay Problem-Help! (1 Viewer)

Hi-
Steller's Jays are a common visitor to my feeder but they spread seed everywhere. I am going through seed really fast and it's costing me a lot to have to replace the seed. I still want them to come to my feeders but I can't afford for them to keep going through seed so fast. Any suggestions?
Thanks

If the seeds concerned are the usual mixture, the jays are going after the sunflower seeds and discarding the rest. One solution would be to have 2 feeders, one containing only sunflower seeds for the jays (and other birds that eat sunflower seeds), the other with mixed seeds for everybody else. You'd still be going through a lot of seed, however.

And welcome to BirdForum. There's lots of interest to bird lovers here and I hope you stick around.

Steller's Jays are food hoarders - they'll take far more food than they can eat, and hide it away against a rainy day. The only real solution is to ration the supply, and to put it in a feeder that they can only take small pieces from at a time.

A Few questions about my birds....

Hello, New to this, have 3 questions: I have a 9 month old Yellow Naped Amazon. It steps up on my fingers when I say step up but it is afraid of my hands. I cannot even feed her. I can put my mouth and nose right up to her but just no hands. Will not take food out of my hands...What do I do?

Second, I have a rehomed Sun Conure I just got also. It was bonded to another Conure but now it is just him by herself. It is very scared of me and if it is hungry anough it will maybe grab a seed out of my hand. I cannot get close to her on a normal basis, ver skiddish. What can I do?

Lastly, I really do not want to keep the 2 birds in the same room because the Sun Conure screetches constantly and I do not want the Amazon to get bad habbits and start screetching like the other one. I want to keep both and work on getting the conure to like me and also get the Amazon closer to me and not pick up any of the yelling habbits... Can anyone give me any advice?

Hello, New to this, have 3 questions: I have a 9 month old Yellow Naped Amazon. It steps up on my fingers when I say step up but it is afraid of my hands. I cannot even feed her.[...]
Wrong forum. Birdforum doesn´t deal with captive birds.
BTW, I dislike people who keep birds only for their entertainment. Buy your bird a partner and let it be a bird, not your toy.

Talk about a lack of respect... Not only asking questions about captive birds, but without a care, barging in into someone elses conversation...
Not sure if trolling or a really inconsiderate mistake.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back