• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Last butterfly of 2020 (1 Viewer)

dantheman

Bah humbug
So maybe we have a long way to go still, within the normal flight periods of a fair few species still.

But a day will come when you realise you haven't seen one for a while, and realise that was it for the year.

Was going to start this the other day with Red Admiral and Large White in the garden, however didn't ...

Anyway, seven today - Large White, Red Admiral, Small Copper, Speckled Wood, Wall Brown (first for the year!), Comma and Small Tortoiseshell. Sunny after a few wet days.

If not restricted to UK sightings, still 14 species on the wing here in recent days, incl 40 or so Queen of Spain Fritillaries, a few Weaver's Fritillaries, a late Camberwell Beauty, a few Eastern Bath Whites, etc

It's always going to be UK-centric Jos ;)

But any and all welcome to post butterfly sightings around the parts of the Northern Hemsiphere which are going to be butterfly-less later this year, on the basis that we're sharing the same autumn I reckon. So yes, all good and interesting.

Big zilch here yesterday- the morning started sunny but felt more like December than the end of September with a sharp northerly. Had a single Speckled Wood on Friday.

No doubt will see a few more when the weather improves. Just over a week ago went to see the Long-tailed Blues at Brighton in balmy conditions-guess they will be petering out soon despite some newly emerged individuals a few days back.

I'm sure if there are mellow conditions we will see odd records of at least Red Admiral into December (gets recorded just about every month of the year!), especially in your part of the world.

My neighbour has a big lavender plant which is still attracting the usual Whites and a Speckled Wood was hurled past me by the wind.

Speaking of sharing the Northern winter, St Petersburg was 22c yesterday whilst here, I was putting the heating on for the first time.

I should have said that 5 of the species in post #1 weren't in the garden, in case that was the impression given, but out at a single site in the countryside.

Today - Small Tortoiseshell, Large White and Red Admiral in the garden, with Comma, Small Copper, Speckled Wood and a Peacock at same site as before. Couple of Silver Y moths too. Missed the going of the skippers, Meadow Browns and the like ...

Speckled Wood and whites whilst out and about today, whites and a humming bird hawkmoth in the garden also
Yesterday, speckled wood and red admiral by the railway. A lovely comma on Tuesday successfully pretending to be a leaf!

Thursday, I was in Richmond Park but it stayed stubbornly overcast while I was there & the sun came out on my trip home, so no butterflies.

After a day & a half of wet, miserable weather it dried up this afternoon with a couple of brighter spells, so had my first butterfly in 8 days- a Small White across a meadow,

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back