• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Warblers update (2 Viewers)

bill moss

Hi folks,

I was saying on a recent thread that I was now looking out for Garden and Wood Warblers. Well I've got the Garden (today) but no sign of Wood, which is getting a bit uncommon these days anyway. But to partially make up I've also seen/heard Lesser Whitethroats (3 of them) yesterday and today, and Sedge over last weekend.

So still to come reasonably are Wood (unlikely really), Reed (certain), and Grasshopper (possible). Before you start on Cetti's etc let me remind you that we are talking about within 5 Miles of home and we dont have the habitats for much else.

Didn't manage to photograph either the Garden nor the Lesser Whitethroat so I'm going to cheat and post a Reed from last year. I pished this one and he came out to look at me.

Anyway, hope springs........

Bill.

Attachments

• DS reed warbler 1.jpg
    DS reed warbler 1.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 25
  • DS reed warbler 2.jpg
    DS reed warbler 2.jpg
    206.1 KB · Views: 22
Hi Bill.
Just done the first of my two BTO BBS survey squares today and had a record bag of 5 singing blackcaps....would love to get a wood warbler, not seen one around Leeds for several years. I do manage to get garden warblers in the other square I survey which is only about 9 miles from home so not too far away. Nice pics of the reedie...they are so inquisitive, I've pished them myself with good results..now I have a camera I'll have to try for a photo. Hope you get your wood warbler before too long.

Hi Bill and keith,
had a dog walk this morning but decided against the survey, saw my third blackcap of the week. I've waited years to see one again and they've been just like buses. Saw a good half dozen whitethroats and heard plenty more. Also heard the usual chiff chaffs and willow warblers but the biggy for me today was the pair of unusual looking birds that after checking four books and two websites, turned out to be grasshopper warblers. A first for me. I seemed to hear more than I saw this morning but still had a good number of species and it was good to see the canada goose goslings, three little yellow balls of fluff.
Chris.

Hi Bill (and all),

Wonderful shots of the Reed Warbler. We haven't (as yet) seen a Wood or Garden Warbler, not heard or seen a Grasshopper either, but there's time.

One thing we have noticed a fair few of this year though, is Blackcaps! Wherever we go we seem to be seeing them and it's wonderful, let's hope this is going to be a really good year for them.

Love, Sue.

Hi Sue,

Yes, lots of Blackcaps, and Chiffchaffs (again) but not as many Willows as last year (which was a good one). Quite a few Whitethroats (usually are around here) and 3 Lessers so far. Just the one Garden, a couple of Sedges; haven't been to the reed-bed where the Reeds were last year, a pleasure in store.

Love, Bill

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back