• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Celestron C80ED Focuser (1 Viewer)

alphan

My focuser knob took a heavy knock and resulted in a bent rod plus a chipped focusing gear. The gears on the rail are OK. Anybody here knows where I can get a replacement or would that be a good excuse to upgrade to dual speed focusing though I never had problem with single speed?

Checked SS but nothing.

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the link. Will keep that in mind if I cannot get a replacement pinion. If I have to replace the focuser, it means another inch longer. I have ordered a Meade DS2 pinion http://www.ebay.com/itm/Meade-DS-te...ltDomain_0&hash=item35b79348c5#ht_2128wt_1159 . Looks very similar to mine, so wait for it to arrive to confirm if it fits. Doesn't cost a fortune. I will continue to look for a Meade DS2 rack to match it if it doesn't fit.

Maybe someone can show me where to find too. Thanks.

Hi Alphan, I was giving you an idea what you are up against. The bad thing about the Celestron 80/100 ED is the threaded type mount for the focuser.

The seller on ebay is Agena Astro who are a big supplier of asto equipment. Main website is here. http://www.agenaastro.com/

To get the focuser off I've seen a tool recommended by others with the same scope. It's one of those rubber straps with a handle, similar to the ones they sell for getting jam jar lids off. I think they do bigger ones for car mechanics, I used to have one for getting the oil filter off the car.

Paul.

Steve, thanks for all the info and link. Will keep them in mind. Thanks also Paul for chipping in too. Very informative.

I have no problem removing my focuser. Done that a couple of times already for baffling. As for now, I will wait for my friend to ship my Meade DS2 pinion from US together with my other stuffs. I will only upgrade or replace my focus if I fail to get a replacement pinion. I may perhaps look at ways to reduce my tube length for mobility purpose. I am happy with the current single speed focusing. My bigger obstacle are my eye sight. I just need to use MF assist with 7X or 14X magnification if I cannot get good contrast for focusing. Will be trying out the Sony SLT 55 which can do 7X or 14X magnification in their EVF. My current A550 can only do so on the LCD which can be quite cumbersome especially under bright sunlight. If that works, then I wil be looking at either the SLT 65 or 77.

Last edited:
Alphan, It is good to know all the options, not that much information on the C80/C100 ED out there. I did find a thread that one of the posts has information on setting up the rack and pinion focuser to take out any slop by shimming etc. My C80ED seems ok the way it is.

Alphan, It is good to know all the options, not that much information on the C80/C100 ED out there. I did find a thread that one of the posts has information on setting up the rack and pinion focuser to take out any slop by shimming etc. My C80ED seems ok the way it is.

Steve, I fully agreed with you. Before I bought my C80ED, I thought we had an advantage by having 90mm tube over the 100mm tube by Orion and SW. Soon I realise that we do not have many options when it comes to repair, upgrading or modification. Yes, every available options may comes in handy any time. My focuser does not have slop problem but would love to know how others solves it. So please link that thread over.

Cheers.

Sorry Alphan I missed this, I will search again for it. I found it under my "history" Dec.16 Look at posts by Eddgie. I bought my C80ED at a pretty big discount, it had some marks on the main tube that didn't bother me. I do have an Orion 100ED as well. I don't think I ever saw the C80ED next to the Orion 80ED to see the difference in overall size.

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/4304559/Main/4303624

Last edited:
I was choosing between the C80ED, SW80ED and Orion 80ED. All have the same glass and given the same rating. The only dealer willing to ship to my country only have the C80ED and his price also a little bit cheaper than others so I ended ordering it. Had I known about the lack of support for this focuser, I might have think twice but all's history now. Just have to make the best out of it.

Alphan, If you put an ad on Cloudy Nights maybe someone on there might have their old focuser that they replaced and would send it to you or the part you need. I don't know if you have to "join" to see this classified section, there is another classified that you have to be a member to see.
http://www.cloudynights.com/classifieds/

Steve, I am an CN member and can place ad etc, but not on AM which need a membership fee. Being so little into astronomy, I decided not to join. Our ever cloudy nights had put me off the sky for now.

My Meade DS2 pinion may take a while more to get here. My shipment will be delays because of shipping damage to my earlier package. So this new shipment must be better protected. We are still figuring out how to do it. Hopefully my old pinion will hold until the new one gets here.

BTW, did you replaced your focuser? If yes, which type? What's the internal diameter of the mounting for the new focuser?

Cheers.

Merry Christmas to all here.

Alphan, I did not replace my focuser, it has worked good even with my DSLR on it and I have been using the Orion 100ED more now. I never tried 2" diagonal and eyepieces on the C80ED, just 1 1/4" and don't know how the 80 would handle them. Good luck with your search, focuser and Merry Christmas.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back