• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help! New White-eyes (1 Viewer)

Larry Sweetland

Formerly 'Larry Wheatland'
Lots of new IOC white-eye splits. Think I've got my head round most of the ones that...er...interest me most, but struggling with a couple of the African populations...

Anyone know the subsp (of previously African Yellow) that would occur on an island off the south coast of lake Victoria, near Mwanza (Tanzania)...can't work out which sp it now falls under.

Anyone know which white-eye subsp occurs at Amani in the East Usambaras.

:smoke::smoke:

Thanks, and hope you've managed to sort your own ones out,

Larry

Last edited:
Lots of new IOC white-eye splits. Think I've got my head round most of the ones that...er...interest me most, but struggling with a couple of the African populations...

Anyone know the subsp (of previously African Yellow) that would occur on an island off the south coast of lake Malawi, near Mwanza (Tanzania)...can't work out which sp it now falls under.

Anyone know which white-eye subsp occurs at Amani in the East Usambaras.

:smoke::smoke:

Thanks, and hope you've managed to sort your own ones out,

Larry

Can't help you with these queries, Larry, but I know of two papers in the works on white-eyes in areas other than those cited in the IOC References List, and so you may have yet more difficulties to come...:eek!::eek!:
MJB

Can't help you with these queries, Larry, but I know of two papers in the works on white-eyes in areas other than those cited in the IOC References List, and so you may have yet more difficulties to come...:eek!::eek!:
MJB

I'm sure we've got a long way to go still with white-eyes! Figured it was a bit of a niche question, so reckon I'll end up PMing Tib and Valery, in case they can help. For me it's all about the vagueries of what constitutes "NW Tanzania" and what constitutes "N tanzania" for the Mwanza birds, and perhaps a separate issue for the Amani population :smoke:

I'm going out on a limb, guessing from HBW:s a liiiittle more precise distribution descriptions here without any other knowledge or experience whatsoever. Could those in the Usambaras be stierlingi (now subspecies of Southern Yellow White-eye, Z. anderssoni)? And the Mwuana bird stuhlmanni (Green White-eye, adjacent jacksoni appears to be a highland taxon)?

I'm going out on a limb, guessing from HBW:s a liiiittle more precise distribution descriptions here without any other knowledge or experience whatsoever. Could those in the Usambaras be stierlingi (now subspecies of Southern Yellow White-eye, Z. anderssoni)? And the Mwuana bird stuhlmanni (Green White-eye, adjacent jacksoni appears to be a highland taxon)?

Thanks Gusaasp, I don't have the volume of HBW with the white-eyes in it. I'm hoping the Mwanza birds are Stuhlmanni (and therefore within Green White-eye), but not sure if Stuhlmanni ranges that far east from the range description in the IOC list. And yes, it was Jacksoni that I figured was the other option (North Tanzania per IOC). Wonder what HBW has for altitude range, because I think lake Victoria is itself surprisingly high.....

Thank you Laurent! To save you the trouble, Larry, I was apparently, and unbelievably, right! My italics.

Zosterops stuhlmanni stuhlmanni T U RB. Ngara, Biharamulo, Mwanza and Bukoba Districts of northwestern Tanzania north to western and southern Uganda below 1700 m, including most Lake Victoria off-shore islands.

Zosterops anderssoni stierlingi T RB. Southern Tanzanian highlands from Mt Run- gwe, the Poroto and Livingstone Mts, Matengo Highlands and Songea north to the Iringa Highlands and the Eastern Arc Mountains including the Udzungwas, Rube- hos, Ulugurus, Ukagurus, Ngurus and the Usambaras.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back