• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unknown Goose, El Dorado, CA 18 Jan 2019 (1 Viewer)

jmtully

United States
My niece took this picture of a goose that was with a larger group of Canada Geese. Not a great shot and I've cropped it significantly. More white on the face and in the wrong pattern than Canada Geese, and she said it had pink legs.

In the attached picture, it is the goose in front.

I sent her some likely links (before she sent this picture) and she ruled out Egyptian Goose and White Fronted Goose, which looking at the picture she got I tend to agree with.

Thanks,

Attachments

• 8e1bbff7-30ee-41f6-bee6-61b85ebd4eb8.jpg
    8e1bbff7-30ee-41f6-bee6-61b85ebd4eb8.jpg
    321.5 KB · Views: 117
If the leg colour wasnt mentioned I would have said this is a pure Canada, they can rarley have white faces like your bird.

But: I havent seen a pure Canada Goose with pink legs and: I often find the pale (pinkish, flesh, rarely yellowish-dark ) legs one of the first things that makes a Canada x Greylag standing out in a flock of Canada Geese. So, as I have only seen less then ten or so Canada Geese with very slightly paler coloured legs (still mainly dark), I think Nutcracker is right with his identification by leg colour alone.

But, as Im very interested in this topic (its a very variable Hybridtype and the most common in Germany and therefore the default option when you see a Goosehybrid), I would be interested in other opinions from more expert birders than me.

The most similar bird to yours I have seen is this one: https://www.dropbox.com/s/3whx2q18asy2pgv/München 20.7.14 (7).JPG?dl=0
It was paired with a Canada Goose and they were followed by a young bird which they defended against dogs.

Thanks for the information. This was a confusing one. If she sends me a better picture, I’ll add it to this thread, but I think this will do for now. Thanks again.

A 'Canalag' is a cross between a male Canada Goose and a female Greylag (or Greylag-type), whereas a 'Granada' is a cross between a male Greylag and a female Canada. Of course if you don't know the parents you can't tell one from the other (as far as I know anyway).

And I can't agree that they are awful things. I love 'em.

Brett

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back