• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

South Central Indiana, 11-28-03 morning (1 Viewer)

Beverlybaynes

Mod Squad
The day after Thanksgiving, and it's cold, wet and blustery. Very typical cold November day.

I drove down to Muscatatuck NWR early this morning, and saw very little as the birds mostly seemed to have the good sense to stay in. I did see 4 Wild Turkey, all female, out grazing in a corn field. And I was able to watch a Pied-billed Grebe catch and swallow a fish nearly as big as it is!

At the feeders at the nature center, I saw what certainly appeared to be a very late female Rose-Breasted Grosbeak. I was really doubting what I was seeing, but the heavy bill and that whitish line through the eye is unmistakeable.

I'm now back at my sister's, which is a house on a small (about 10 1/2 acres) developed lake. For it's size it seems to get quite a nice variety of waterfowl, especially during migration. My BIL and I were just looking at the lake, to see what might be out there besides the ubiquitous Mallards and Canada Geese -- and a winter male Ruddy Duck just flew in!

These jaunty little guys are so dapper in their breeding colors, and so dull by comparison in the winter. But that upraised still little tail is a dead giveaway! What fun to see one!!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back