• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Greater Yellowlegs in Mallorca (1 Viewer)

On Dec.3rd we were at the Salinas de Levante when I saw what I thought was a Greenshank wading in the water some several hundred yards away. The bird was seen through the large Kowa scope. When it came out of the water, I could see that it had very bright yellow legs. One other member of our group saw the bird before it flew. The first thing he commented on was the colour of its legs.I could only reason that it must be a Greater Yellowlegs. I do not know if this a very unusual record for Mallorca or not. Did anybody else see the bird around this time?
I should add that I have been a wader ringer since the 60`s, so do have some experience of this group of birds. How would I go about submitting this record to the island`s bird recorder?
Glad of any observations.
Pete

See if you can find Mike Montier - he posts lots of stuff on here re Majorca. (use the search tool top right for him or Majorca!) Try sending him a PM.

Thanks for reply. Bird took off just as I returned to view it again bot split-second observation gave me what I would say was rump white but not extending up back as far as it would in greenshank but it was only brief flash as it disappeared. What had struck me initially was the extremely bright yellow of legs and when it was wading, it did seem slightly browner than a greenshank which was quite close to it. Am not familiar with species, but have greenshanks with legs bordering on yellow but never as bright as this bird. Must be a ?

Thanks. Hope not repeating this posting as first vanished! Must be doubtful record. Not familiar with species. Did have very bright legs but only fleeting view of rump which otherwise would have settled it one way or the other! Guess it must be one of those "could have been"!

Many thanks Jon. Have sent post to Mike. It must be doubtful record as cant be sure that rump pattern was right as bird instant I put scope on it again, flew! Pete

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back