• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon digi camera optical lens (1 Viewer)

simon T.

My Canon powershot has optical lens of 6X.

It is suggested that this is too powerful.

Has anyone used one successfully with a 6X lens ?

simon T.

83 views and no reply - don't you just hate it when that happens?

Most of the recommended digiscoping cameras are in the 3-4x range.

The problem with cameras with a bigger range is vignetting (black/shadow areas around the edges of the image on the camera LCD).

If you hold the camera to the eyepiece of your scope - about 1-2 mm away and try it at a few different focal lengths, you will be able to see the amount of vignetting

This will vary depending on the scope/eyepiece combination you are using, and of course the camera type.

Last edited:
83 views and no reply - don't you just hate it when that happens?

Most of the recommended digiscoping cameras are in the 3-4x range.

The problem with cameras with a bigger range is vignetting (black/shadow areas around the edges of the image on the camera LCD).

If you hold the camera to the eyepiece of your scope - about 1-2 mm away and try it at a few different focal lengths, you will be able to see the amount of vignetting

This will vary depending on the scope/eyepiece combination you are using, and of course the camera type.

Thank you very much. I had read up & phoned a couple of dealers but got mixed replies.

Thanks to you & Pete Gambey I discovered that the two are incompatible & I now understand the technical bits.

I bit the bullet & bought an Opticron Panasonic kit with a compatible eyepice & am
totally satisfied..and wiser !

Thanks again.

simon T.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back